Dramatis Personae

Supporting immersive roleplay since 2003!
See Who's In Game Right Now!
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 5:58 pm

WARNING: Forums have been upgraded, please delete any old DP cookies from your browser, otherwise you may not be able to login correctly.

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:12 pm 
Producer

<a href="http://callsheet.dramatis-personae.com">Check it out!</a>

Just login using your DP message forums player username and password. Then add your character(s).

When you go online, click "QuickPlay" to just play or "Play" to display a location and a note to other players. You will see a popup window that will enable you to change characters, or logoff, or you can just click "Logoff" next to your name.

I'm very proud of this! My boyfriend Dan wrote the engine for the "Currently Online" part and most of the UI; I polished it up and added the Roster and Events.

If anyone encounters bugs, by the way, or visible SQL code (left over from error checking), when you report it, it's extremely helpful to me to include the exact URL from your address bar so I can narrow down exactly where the error is. Thanks!

--

P.S. The name, for those of you who don't know, comes from:
"Production term for daily listing of schedule, scenes and cast required. A printed schedule of the day's work that is to be filmed and the people, place and things needed. "

---

Coming soon feature list:
-Optional reminders for event leaders that they need to update
-Make stats
-Add ability to change session note/location in the popup window
-Finish the documentation
-Add dynamic j/s menu to forum main page with dropdown of characters (won't be available for a while, major undertaking)
-Links from forum to CS profiles where available (mostly completed)

<s>-Optional reminders that an event is about to happen</s>
<s>+One shot events</s>
<s>+Option to have two people lead event</s>
<s>+Make defining level range for events mandatory</s>
<s>+"Unavailable" option for disabled accounts</s>
<s>+After three months players go "unavailable" automatically</s>
<s>+Total of eight links available for journals, etc</s>
<s>+Changed 12am/pm to midnight/noon</s>
<s>+Player profiles in Call Sheet linked from forum</s>
<s>+Ability to make events "every other week" (beta)</s>
<s>+PM links in roster and other lists</s>
<s>+More clear "today" and "tomorrow" indications for starting soon events.</s>
<s>+Ability to designate race/class/level range for event groups, with automatic links in events listing to appropriate characters in the roster.</s>
<s>+Limited "guest" access for those without forum accounts</s>
<s>+Option to display inactive characters on roster.</s>
<s>+Inactive events are automatically hidden</s>
<s>+Can search by Alliance or Horde in roster.</s>
<s>+Can select user's character list in drop down menu on character view</s>
<s>+Inactive users' characters don't appear on roster</s>
<s>+Auditioners' characters indicated by color in lists.</s>
<s>+Coming soon and currently going events displayed on who's online (pacers, etc)</s>
<s>+Ability to indicate mains</s>
<s>+User notes for availability and whatnot</s>
<s>+Ability to adjust autologout</s>
<s>+Time zone adjustment</s>
<s>+Locations</s>
<s>+A roster of all the characters that can be sorted and/or masked for server/class/race etc.</s>
<s>+A short optional message for the "currently online" list</s>
<s>+Autologout</s>
<s>+Character list by player</s>
<s>+Various options to sort by on character lists.</s>
<s>+Delete/edit links on character view (for your own characters, obviously)</s>
<s>+Autorefresh on "Who's Currently Online" display</s>
<s>+Link to logout on "Who's On" page</s>

You know what happens when you dream of falling? Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you.
And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.

-->Obligatory Call Sheet plug here<--

Last edited by Alanna on Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:01 am, edited 36 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:12 pm 
Producer

"Wow, I just gotta say... this is SO much easier to follow than the I'm Online thread. Just, one glance and you can see the whole picture. I wish I could take credit for this, even in part! Hehe."
-Mishell

"Go Dan Dan!"
-Wolf

"I have found one terrible, terrible, bug with the system.
Skitch can now check in from work and see how long I've been playing. :shock:"
-Mishell

"Alanna that is *beyond* cool!"
-Ryan

"Oh wow, this is really keen stuff. Great!"
-Kansas

"One thing I love and beg you to keep - that the default order in which the "who's online" are listed is by time online. So the person who just logged in 2 minutes ago is at the very top, and those who forget to log out sink all the way to the bottom with their 12.96165 hours. ;) This makes it really easy to quickly prioritize when you see a bunch of people on different servers, because you can make a quick guess as to who is going to be most open to company, least tired, etc....
All in all, I approve of this system because it is as likely to work well with 600 people as with 60."
-Mishell (again! :) )

"I love the UI. A lot. A lot a lot. It's very, very, legible. I can "see" how it will probably look if you sort by server or other factors, too. I agree with Mishell that defaulting to sorting by time is the way to go. "
-Gretchen

"I've been slow responding here but i would like to add my thanks for putting this up! This is sooo much easier to use."
-Dao

"You know what this neato call sheet has taught Kansas? That having a character on ER wouldn't hurt. I better do that, yikes.

Though a painful side effect of this wonderful thingy is that it let's me know how much time I spend playing. Yikes again."
-Kansas

"And it is very nice, and thank you for all your work on it. :D "
-Jester

"You're such a stud.
Can I be you when I grow up?"
-Kestryl

"Thanks for the coolness."
-Wolf

"Alanna pwns your @%*" :twisted: ...This is amazing."
-Wolf

"Love the addition of notes and location though. :)"
-Silver

"All of the new features on the Call Sheet kick tail."
"Alanna. You're awesome. You're also a perfectionist almost to a fault and I am your lazy opposite."
"I am SO happy to have this new feature. Thank you Alanna!" (on the main character feature)
-Wolf

"Awesome Job, Alanna, on this Call sheet! <round of applause>"
-Magestorm

"I request all the services I pay for in life; tuition, gas, electric, bank, credit card, cable, restaurants, gym memberships, barbers, contractors, auto repair are as durn responsive, efficient, capable and polite as the "Can do" Princess Alanna, who donates her personal time and who's only fee is common sense and courtesy.
Thanks for all the hard work. "
-Wolf

"I just want to take a moment and say how fricking amazing the call sheet is. People are going to want to join DP just for this. It's brilliant. :)"
-Mishell

"Especially for a new DP member like me, the Call Sheet is extremely useful in finding other players to team up with. Without it, I doubt I would have been able to meet half of the excellent people I've encountered during the past few weeks. Alanna is awesome. :)"
-Santiago

"I just want to say - best newly discovered feature about this - the ability to edit your own autologout time under "settings." I went in and changed mine to 4 hours since I almost NEVER play longer than that, and if I do I am in no way fit for company. :) It's little details like this that make the Call Sheet so awesome. Thanks again!"
-Mishell

"Our Exalted Leader: Does she ever stop enhancing our playing pleasure? Not a chance.
Thank you Alanna :D"
-Wolf

"This calls for a special woot! w00t!!!
That is all. :)"
-Silver (on the noon/midnight update)

"Coooooooool!
The Call sheet just gets neato-er and neato-er."
-Mishell

""Neato-er" has ceased to be sufficient for me when describing the Call Sheet. I've had to resort to unorthodox terms such as "Awesomtasticbangalicious", among others."
-JackSparrow

"Yeah... what he said."
-Kestryl, echoing JackSparrow

"Woot! You are awesome! Did you do it while on Percocet?
...*bows* We're not worthy!!!"
-Kestryl, on the new participation levels and profiles

"The Call Sheet rocks. Just make sure you're doing your studying first! We don't want to send you to Principal Dan's Office."
-Wolf

"<hugs for Alanna>
We still cherish you and appreciate you!
<big smiles>"
-Solimuse

"I poked around the FAQ, and it looks awesome. Very well put together. *applause* :)"
-JackSparrow

"I like it. Smile"
-Wolf, on the CS FAQ

"This new stuff looks very awesome! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D"
-Hyper Ewok

"The Call Sheet is too dang user friendly as is without smothering it in chocolate syrup. YUM! Very Happy
Thank you and Dan for all of the hard work."
-Wolf

"You and Dan are the dynamic duo!"
-Kestryl

You know what happens when you dream of falling? Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you.

Last edited by Alanna on Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:23 pm, edited 16 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:40 am 
Retired

It would be immensely useful to know which characters are actively played versus those that are gathering dust, especially when it comes to the general DP server population and faction.

Not sure if there is an easy way to do this or not.

However, the roster in general has ballooned, and I suspect that there a fare amount of toons gathering dust.

On option would be to have a simple toggle for people to select for their characters, something like "Active, Semi-active, Rarely Active" which could be aggregated for each server, so you could publish statistics like:

ER Alliance, 60 characters, 25 Active, 15 Semi-active, 20 Inactive
ER Horde, 20 characters, 0 Active, 10 Semi-active, 10 Inactive

It at least would help me sort through which servers and factions have lots of toons but are rarely visited by DPers. Maximize DP exposure and all of that.

Just my cp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:15 am 
Performer

The problem with designating characters as gathering dust is that a lot of them are simply gathering dust because other people aren't playing their matching characters... and if we mark those characters as "retired" or something then no one ever WILL play their matching characters...

Better to just leave them up there unless you're not planning to ever play them again, in which case, just delete em.

There is a way to mark a character as "frequently played" though so people know what server you most often hang out on. Those characters show up in yellow.

If we do implement some way of marking characters "semi-active" or "inactive" or whatever, please be sure it has to be manually set by the player and doesn't just "Happen" after a certain amount of inactivity. I don't want people to have any more reason than they already have to abandon some of my neglected little darlings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:06 am 
Producer

I have really thought about this, and tried to figure out a way to automate displaying characters as active or not.

And the key to keeping it any semblence of accurate is to automate it. Your system is a nice idea, DB, but I know from trying to flog people into updating their character lists on the forums before we had the Call Sheet that it won't work. People procrastinate, or just don't bother. I do it too. :oops: People can designate their frequently played characters because, well, you're always playing them. And if you start playing a new character more, you can always mark that one too. But characters you don't play as much, you just kind of forget about. I know for me, the moment I marked a character as rarely played, I'd start thinking about how I hadn't played that character in a while and I really should make some time for that server-- and then the moment I do that that character's not really rarely played.

And then there's people like me. I like to think I'm a moderate model for DP activity, though I know I'm on the low end of the playtime scale (right above the people who've quit WoW :) ). Meaning, the most frequently played of my characters still only get played maybe once or twice a week, sometimes not for a week or more at a time. Those designations are relative to each person.

I'm not really sure why we need it for individual characters, either, <b>since as long as a DP player is still active many, if not most, would be willing to dust off an old character if they get a request to do so.</b> There are two major ways to find playbuddies in DP-- search for compatible characters and send a PM to hook up, or check the Call Sheet and hope to catch someone on with whom you can join up. Neither of those would be helped by a special "rarely played" designation.

I did set up players to go inactive, and when they do, their characters do too, since those characters haven't been updated in a while and may be higher level, inactive, deleted, or non-roleplay by now. So the characters of inactive players don't appear on the roster either (unless requested). But people who have a lot of alts (more than 10, say) will always have some "lesser played" characters, and they're usually constantly shifting. Take Mishell-- she used to change her "main" at least once a month, and especially now that she's not playing as much, a lot of her characters haven't been played in months. But she would probably be willing to dust one off if someone wanted to set up a roleplay date.

I guess my point is, even if a character hasn't been played in months, I'm not sure I see why that character wouldn't make a good rp buddy.

As far as statistics, I can and will (eventually) make better statistics than that. Every time someone logs on and off with a character, the session information is stored. So we have, right now, all the data from the last four months on who's been on what server when. All I have to do is write an interface to display it, and we can see which servers are played on more and which faction is favored and that sort of thing, much better than player-dependent toggles. :) Especially since which servers are DP-favored is a bit changeable, to say the least. It used to be ER, then for a while it was TN, and now AD seems to be a hot spot, though ER is still popular, but TN (as you've sadly noted) is pretty much dead.

(I'm not trying to lambast your idea; one of the things that got the most consideration going into the roster portion of the call sheet was how to keep it as updated and accurate as possible. Just expaining to everyone why I'm not doing it. :) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:06 pm 
Retired

Yah I understand. I can dream though.

Just so ya know where I'm coming from, I recently decided that I wanted to find my horde "home", as I like to call it. So I read through the server forums, guild forums and of course looked through the DP call sheet to get an idea of where the most active DP horde community is.

Well, I found it very difficult to figure out where the DP community is active. The pacers are great, but I can't make most of those times :( so I gotta find the "ER" of DP hordies.

Anyway, I just ended up picking ED since it seemed to have a lot of what I was looking for, except for a lack of DPers. However, since I couldn't really figure out where the DPers were playing their horde, it was sort of a wash anyway.

Maybe there will be a good way to do this in the future, thanks regardless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:44 pm 
Performer

Trying to passively "happen upon" a group of DPers in WoW is kind of like trying to passively happen upon a group of people you know in RL by wandering around downtown. WoW is just too BIG of a place, and DPers like to make use of all of it.

The people who get the most RP company around here are those who ask for it, and/or who check the call sheet to see who's on before choosing a character to log on.

I must reiterate though, with or without a "retired" designation, there is absolutely NO point in basing your server choice on a call sheet search. Even if every single one of those characters is active, you don't know when those people play. What good does it do if there are 150 Horde on Cenarion Circle, as an example, if none of them play when you do?

I recommend:

1. Check the call sheet every time you're available to play.

2. See what names come up most often during your regular play times.

3. Ask those people where they have characters, start showing up where they show up, and be pleasant to be around.

The rest should take care of itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:00 am 
Producer

Bug fixes:
-Fix IE popup bug.

Improvements:
-Optional reminders for event leaders that they need to update
-Make stats
-Add ability to change session note/location in the popup window
-Finish the documentation
-Add dynamic j/s menu to forum main page with dropdown of characters (won't be available for a while, major undertaking)

Please add anything else you can think of (even if you think it was mentioned somewhere else). I searched the whole board and found as many suggestions and unresolved bug reports as I could. So even if you think it was me who said it, post it here.

Last edited by Alanna on Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:00 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:37 pm 
Producer

Oh, and try to remember to logout!! Set your autologout as accurately as possible, and let me know if there's anything I can do to help you remember. For example, I could put a big banner across the top of the forums that would let you know you have a character logged in. I can set up email or PM reminders. If I researched enough, I could probably IM or text message your phone. ;) Whatever you think would help you remember. The more accurate numbers I get for sessions, the more accurate the stats will be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:46 am 
Producer

I encourage everyone, especially if you don't play WoW currently for whatever reason, to login to the Call Sheet just once and look over your "Player Profile." PM me if you're not sure how to do this. If you don't currently play WoW-- again, for any reason-- please set yourself to "Unavailable" so people know that if they're just browsing through our membership.

There are several people who are currently active on the message board, but have never visited the Call Sheet. I set you to Unavailable, and I just emailed you today to let you know that. Please correct this if it is not accurate!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:46 am 
Producer

Mishell wrote:
When I logged out from the pop-up today, it still showed me as playing on the call sheet. When I hit "end session" on the popup, I no longer had the main call sheet up; I'd closed out the window. Don't know if that makes any difference.

One more brief update before I run to class-- I finally tracked down the cause of the popup window bug Mishell mentioned months ago. It turns out there's a security hole in IE with regards to Javascript closing windows (don't know the details), so it's very persnickety about closing windows. It used to at least prompt you-- maybe you can still set the security settings to do that, I'll play around with it later. There used to be a work around, but they removed it as a security issue in IE7-- and I think the same work around would make the window NOT work in Firefox.

Will continue to work on it but for the moment just don't close the main window. :)

Last edited by Alanna on Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:08 pm 
Producer

If you needed another reason to login to the Call Sheet, here it is!

While stats won't be available to the general public for awhile yet, I've made some very rudimentary ones available to Jane for Event info gathering purposes. She can now track, in a general way, how many people show up to an event-- but if you don't login, she'll never know!! As we gather more data and organize it better, the Call Sheet will become THE thermometer for the success of the event.

So if you want to show your support-- don't just show up, SHOW you showed up!

(As always, suggestions on how to help you remember to log in and out are super appreciated!!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:52 pm 
Producer

So the majority of people (who didn't say all of the above) said that for online Help, links to relevant help topics would help them most. So that's what I'm going to be working on next, along with the long awaited stats.

You can help with the Help pages! Do you have fantastic written language skills? Do you have a lot of experience with the Call Sheet? PM me if you'd be interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:51 am 
Producer

New Call Sheet update!

+ There is now a drop down menu on the Who's Playing page to log in a character. Characters designated as "mains" are alpha at the top, followed by the rest in alpha order.
+ You can now level up your characters from the Who's Playing screen. This is so after logging off, you can update your level right there. Hint, hint.
+ Logging your characters in and out returns you to the Who's Playing screen, not the My Characters screen.
+ Times now appear in hrs/minutes format rather than a decimal.

Bug Fixes:

+ Fixed "QuickPlay" erasing your character's location
+ Display is no longer messed up if you enter an extra writing without entering a journal.
+ Birthdays should display according to the timezone of the person viewing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:47 am 
Producer

Burning Crusade update!

Level max raised to 70
Jewelcrafting added as profession
New zones added to location list

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next