Dramatis Personae

Supporting immersive roleplay since 2003!
See Who's In Game Right Now!
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:11 pm

WARNING: Forums have been upgraded, please delete any old DP cookies from your browser, otherwise you may not be able to login correctly.

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:38 am 
Producer

Hello and welcome to the Dramatis Personae message board!

Dramatis Personae (a.k.a. wowroleplay.com) is a community of adults who are dedicated to roleplay in World of Warcraft and who enjoy discussing lore, learning/refining writing skills, and taking part in fun storylines/events on ALL of World of Warcraft's roleplay servers.

This message board is a place where we meet to discuss creative fantasy storytelling and also just to "hang out." But the forum is only a small part of what DP has to offer! Here is a brief tour of the "highlights" of our site to get you started! Dramatis Personae can be overwhelming at first, so we've chosen the four places that are the absolute "Must sees" for new members.

1. The forums (you found them!) Here are the posting rules.
2. The Call Sheet (who's online right now, and where?)
3. The race pages (The "lore 101" you need to know to RP a character - aging, customs, names - without unneeded detail!)
4. The introduction thread - Meet the Dramatis Personae!

Please see our FAQ for further information.

About the message board: because of the semi-sensitive and personal nature of some of this board's topics, we like to keep some of our content just between friends. In other words, you must hang around for a bit and get to know us in order to receive an invite to our more private forums. We also ask you write up a short intro to post on the board once you join, so the rest of us can feel comfortable with you as well.

Posting in our in-character section is also welcome, but there is no need to post under your character identity except for clarity or if you want to display a sidepic.

That about does it for our introduction! If you have any further questions about how this all works please talk to our site administrator, Alanna (that's me).

Look forward to meeting you!

For an account of our history, including our former incarnation(s) as Norrathian Dramatis Personae, Strictly In Character, and EQ Masquerade, please read further in this forum.

You know what happens when you dream of falling? Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you.
And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.

-->Obligatory Call Sheet plug here<--

Last edited by Alanna on Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:34 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:22 am 
Producer

Welcome Feathermoonies! (I'm sorry! I just couldn't resist!! :D :lol: )

Seriously, a very warm welcome to our friends at <a href="http://feathermoon.net">Feathermoon.net</a>. If you haven't visited their site, I highly recommend it. It's absolutely beautiful! (Can you tell I'm jealous? :) )

I've noticed, though, because of a few cultural differences between our two communities, there are a couple of things I'd like our Feathermoon.net visitors to take special note of:

First, I notice you all go by your character names. We DPers have found in our community that having players known primarily by their character names leads to massive confusion on how to distinguish between talking about the character and the player. Obviously you've not found this to be the case, but we've found the best way to avoid this confusion is to have each player have one player account under a "player name" (usually an alias, I think I'm the only one who actually uses her real name) to discuss out of character planning and general fun/real life stuff, and then unlimited character accounts under various character names to post in-character writings and journals and so forth. If you're reading this right after you made your account with your character name, don't panic. Just PM me and I can change it to whatever you'd like!

The idea at the heart of this is that DP is a community of players, not characters, bound together by our love of roleplay. We tell stories and weave plots through our characters in game, but outside of WoW we're just a bunch of average joes (or janes). Our communication out of game is largely reflective of this community of RL people who happen to like roleplay, which is another reason we try to avoid over-identifying with our game personas.

To get to the point, since I've rambled enough-- we realize that your character names are probably your established handles on the Feathermoon.net boards and what everyone knows you by. We have no wish to make you explain who you are to everyone on here who might wander over from Feathermoon.net, or why you don't go by your character name here. But we have found this rule to be enormously helpful to us. So please use some alternate handle, something else you can be known by, even if it's just altering the spelling of a character name a little ;).

Second, we have an <a href="http://forums..dramatis-personae.com/viewtopic.php?t=298">introdution thread</a> that all new members post in, and a separate <a href="http://forums.dramatis-personae.com/viewtopic.php?t=300">welcome thread</a> where we welcome the newcomers. This serves a few purposes:
a) It keeps us from having a new introduction/welcome thread everytime a new person joins us.
b) It allows new people to get some name recognition.
c) It helps us to keep rough track of the player accounts-- who and how many.
d) It just keeps everthing polite and friendly!
We keep the welcomes separate so the thread doesn't keep getting derailed.
So once you get a player account all set up, if you could introduce yourself, as expansively or briefly as you please, we'd be very happy to meet you. Especially if you're announcing an event (which we love to hear about!) we like to know who you are. :)

Speaking of events-- I understand you use the notation "AST" for Azeroth Standard Time, meaning Feathermoon's server time (which I think is Pacific time). Here at DP we span all the roleplay servers, and quite a few time-zones around the world, so we default when listing events to Eastern Standard Time (the person who used to list the events when they were listed on the forums lives on the east coast). If your event gets listed on the Call Sheet (see <a href="http://stuff.dramatis-personae.com/viewtopic.php?t=2666">here</a> for what's involved with that-- mostly just need more information), it will appear in local time to any current user. Make sure to also remind us what server! :)

If anyone, from Feathermoon.net or not, has any questions about our protocol or why we do things the way we do please don't hesitate to contact me or <a href="http://forums.dramatis-personae.com/viewtopic.php?t=2874">another Producer</a> of your choice. :)

You know what happens when you dream of falling? Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you.
And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.

-->Obligatory Call Sheet plug here<--