Dramatis Personae

Supporting immersive roleplay since 2003!
See Who's In Game Right Now!
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:07 pm

WARNING: Forums have been upgraded, please delete any old DP cookies from your browser, otherwise you may not be able to login correctly.

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:32 pm 
Producer

Though there is no replacement for face-to-face roleplay, we have come to realize that for some busy players, the time it takes just to get in the same place as others eats up most of their session time. We want everyone, no matter how casual a player, to have the chance to meet other characters IC and express their creativity in a group setting.

To that end, DP has created The Dragon's Pint (Horde) and The Dog & Pony (Alliance), two out-of-the-way, goblin-run taverns designed to be places for the adventurers to kick back, relax, and make connections. To join, type "/join personae" while in-game. This is not a "long distance communication" tool. Each tavern is an actual brick-and-mortar place where all the laws of physics and face to face interaction apply. It's just slightly "offset" from the time in which you are actually leveling your character. "Later that night" perhaps. Please keep it vague. :)

This is not a replacement for face to face RP. This is, instead, a way that those whose time constraints are currently making face to face RP impossible can still get in a few minutes of character interaction here and there and forge IC relationships with other DPers on the server.

These taverns will be represented in-game by the channel personae, which was formerly merely a "roll call" channel. Now it will serve a dual purpose. It is still the channel for ALL online DPers to be logged into. If you do not wish to RP in it, you may mute the channel until you're in the mood for RP (this allows people to still /chatlist and see you're online even if you're not on their friends' list, keeping personae's original function intact). When you are ready for RP, simply unmute the channel and RP your character's entrance.

About the Taverns

Both taverns are owned by the same elusive, wealthy goblin, known only as "D.P." Both taverns are staffed by a full array of goblins (bartenders, servers, chefs, etc.) that you may godmode to your heart's content. ;) D.P. deliberately built each inn on geographically inaccessible locations to keep out the "riffraff." However you may mail-order a special mini-hearthstone that will take you there any time you like. Each DP character can be assumed to have ordered one of these stones.

The floorplans of the taverns are modeled after the sturdy designs of the dwarves (such as those found in Dun Morogh or Loch Modan), as they are sturdy enough to endure the hardier races, but "civilized" enough for the likes of humans and Blood Elves. There is an upper sitting area, a lower sitting area with bar and fireplace, a kitchen, and rooms for sleeping down below.

The Dog & Pony

The Dog & Pony is located near the gnomish airfield, on a mountaintop high above Dun Morogh. It is very chilly outside, so only the most heated brawls dare venture out the door.

The Dragon's Pint

The Dragon's Pint is located on top of an unscalable mountain on the border of Durotar and the Barrens, overlooking the majestic Southfury River. The weather tends to be dry, but is more pleasant in temperature than Durotar or the Barrens due to the high elevation.

Rules for using personae as a roleplay channel

1. You may only RP in this channel as the character you're currently logged in as.
2. Anything you say ooc must be enclosed in < or ( or ((s. Use your preference, but be consistent.
3. This is a tavern. Take non-tavern RP (rituals, hunts, sermons, private meetings), to a more appropriate setting.
4. Take any IC brawls/violence/excessive hostility "outside" (to tells or face to face).
5. Emote your character's exit before muting the channel or logging off. Don't leave people hanging!
6. Only Common (or Orcish, Hordeside) may be spoken in the taverns. If your character can't speak these, RP accordingly.

Some courtesy guidelines:

1. Please do not use the channel as a "stage" for a closed private scene. Include everyone.
2. Try to keep ooc comments to a BARE minimum.
3. Please describe your character each time he/she enters, including race. Re-describe as needed.
4. Whenever possible, use the channel as a jumping-off-point to set up more involved, face-to-face RP.

How to mute and unmute personae

1. Click your chat window.
2. Right-click General tab.
3. Go down to the bottom and choose Settings.
4. Choose Global Chat Channels.
5. Uncheck to mute (or check to unmute) Personae.

That about wraps it up, but please feel free to post any questions or suggestions in this thread as we continue to fine-tune our channel-RP experience.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:11 pm 
Retired

Eeeee, this makes me so happy. While I'm pretty flexible during the day (when no one else is around), my nights are usually fairly structured as I raid or dungeon with my husband, who doesn't RP. This will give me a chance to actually meet a lot of DPers that I wouldn't otherwise have had the chance to. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:01 am 
Producer

Pleiades wrote:
This will give me a chance to actually meet a lot of DPers that I wouldn't otherwise have had the chance to. :)

That, right there, is exactly why we decided to do this. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:26 pm 
Performer

This is a FABULOUS idea, as my Cenarion Circle guildmates have had this sort of setup in evidence for simply AGES now. We've gotten a lot of great roleplay out of the Silver Lion Inn, and it's a great way to get to know people when you're different levels or just can't meet face to face.

A few tips... Treat it like you're reading the scene in a book. Describe actions, describe what emotions are showing on your face, the sound your boots make walking across the floor... Etcetera. Don't just say "I walk in." and then start talking. Move around and get creative with things. When you don't have that reference of the game's actions to make setting the scene obvious it really helps to do that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:25 am 
Performer

I am going to add some info on how to mute a channel for those who don't want the RP or are temporarily needing to concentrate. I will put this in the top post as well.

Click your chat window.
Right-click General.
Go down to the bottom and choose Settings.
Choose Global Chat Channels.
Uncheck Personae.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:23 pm 
Performer

To add to what Mish said... Muting a channel does NOT throw you out of a channel. You still register as being a participant of the channel and everything, so don't worry about having to re-add this (or any other) channel you mute for whatever reason!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:12 pm 
Performer

Yup, whether you mute or unmute the channel you are still in it and visible on a /chatwho. Which is why we ask folks to mute rather than leave if they don't feel like listening to the RP. That way personae can still serve its original purpose as an in-game roll call of sorts.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:17 am 
Performer

I've been having a blast on personae so far. I'd say about 50% of the time I've been on there's been someone willing to RP with me in there.

What to do when it's slow? Should you assume people don't want to RP? Should you make a grand entrance and then have the embarrassment of dead silence greeting your character in the inn?

Here's what I do, but your mileage may vary.

1. Regardless of my prospects of hooking RP fish, I cast the best bait I can with my entrance. I try to think what might provoke curiosity. I give an indication of my character's mood, state of dress, and where they might be arriving from, but I make my entrance self-contained. That is, I don't make my entrance hinge on someone responding to it. Example: *A scrawny female orc wearily makes her way into the tavern, covered in a fine red dust. Her left leg drags behind her so subtly it's barely noticeable. She heads to the bar and speaks quietly to the goblin tender.*

2. If no one responds, I emote sitting at a table with a drink and then wait 10-15 minutes in case someone new logs on or the people who were already on get less busy. After 10-15 minutes I'll emote something else that might provoke a response, such as: *The orc takes out a small leather book from her bag and opens it, frowning with puzzlement at its pages as she continues to nurse her drink.*

3. Sometimes if I'm really bored I'll make conversation with the goblin bartender or servers. Oh yes, yes, I will. And they answer back in typing that looks suspiciously like mine. My philosophy is that someone might RP with me if only out of pity at this point. It hasn't worked yet, but at least it keeps me amused.

4. When it's time for me to log off, whether someone has RPed with me or not, I make the best exit I can. Same rules apply as for your entrance. You never know if someone was stuck in a dungeon crawl or maybe was afk but might come back and enjoy what you typed and hope you come back so they can try RPing with you next time. Always aim to entertain, whether your audience returns the favor right away or not. :) Sometimes people just need time to warm up to you.

Post subject: Insight
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:56 am 
Performer

I'm gonna play "Geographer" here and help pinpoint the location of these places for those of you who can't imagine where they might be. With the help of [i]MapWoW.com[/i]! (If you'd prefer to envision your OWN location, feel free not to click any of the following links. This is, after all, my take on things.)

[b]The Dog & Pony[/b]
Ah...[url=http://mapwow.com/?lng2=64.962158203125&lat2=69.76755666104444&zoom=7]Ironforge Airfield[/url]... A lovely place, really. Lots of gnomish flying machines, a few dwaves, and [url=http://mapwow.com/?lng2=64.6820068359375&lat2=69.52202978356681&zoom=9]a tunnel leading down to Old Ironforge[/url]. (No, seriously. It's not connected all the way in-game yet, but the tunnel passages ARE THERE. ;P) So where would the most likely place for The Dog & Pony lie, given the brief description? Most likely in one of the existing structures to the West, within walking distance of the Airfield, I'd reckon. What better way to start the day than with a heavy, hot drink and a wreckless flight on an experimental gnomish flying machine? :D It's questionable if it'd be goblin-run, given the location, but not impossible. But goblin-owned? Sure!

[b]The Dragon's Pint[/b]
As stated, The Dragon's Pint is up in the mountains which Orgrimmar was built in. I'd say the most likely location would be around [url=http://mapwow.com/?lng2=-68.6480712890625&lat2=69.39578308847753&zoom=8]here[/url]. The most likely method to get there is, as with The Dog & Pony, an underground tunnel or some sort or flight.

Anyway, that's my insight into the matter. I'm sure Pirate Spice and the others here have other ideas, but there's MY imagination-shattering ideas. XD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:37 am 
Producer

While I appreciate the effort to pin point these locations, the actual intent is to keep it vague. Should there ever come a time when, say, the Iron Forge tunnels are opened we don't want to have to move these fictional inns. These are exclusive, members only type places. So near the airfield, not neccessarly in the same mountain pass.

The only way to get to these places is via the fictional hearthstones mentioned. They are of the world, but do not exist in the actual world. Make sense?

Oh, Lord above
Send down a dove
With beak as sharp as razors
To cut the throats
Of them there blokes
What sells bad beer
To sailors

Meet my characters or see my hello post.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:28 am 
Performer

Yup, both inns are deliberately placed by their goblin owners in locations that are not reachable without use of teleportation magic (hearthstone type objects). That way they can control who has access and who does not. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:06 pm 
Producer

I have been too busy RP-ing / fast paced play with my group or Little Wolf or coaching my daughter to participate in either of the Goblin run inn's yet.

I wanted to say to those who have participated when I have been in game that I have enjoyed the RP show and actions.

I've been hesitant to respond due to my situations at the time. ie. "Make and entrance, get a response, and not reply to that response for 15 min due to busy actions in my group or partnered quests and whispers." = rude of me.

I can gurantee you when I get on line solo, I 'will' be participating.

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter" - Ernest Hemingway

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:58 pm 
Retired

Please forgive the "newbish" question, as I just joined this forum today... But I've read and reread this thread several times and nowhere do I see the actually name of the chat channel or how to join it? I assume it is on a per server basis, but a name that should be unique on whatever server we are participating on. I'm also uncertain if there can be a chat channel with the same name on both alliance and horde sides? I assume you guys have worked that out.

I'm excited about the oppportunity to join the chat channel, on multiple servers, but the actually HOW of joining would be nice. *apologetic smile*

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:02 pm 
Retired

Forgive the double post, but it doesn't look like I'm able to edit my previous post. But after a bit more searching I found your thread about the Personae chat channel here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2023

For those who are new here, and don't know about the other thread, perhaps you might make it clear in this original post what the name of the channel is? Just a suggestion from someone who is seeing the forum with fresh eyes and doesn't know my way around. *bows humbly in apology*

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:25 pm 
Producer

[QUOTE]
These taverns will be represented in-game by the channel personae, which was formerly merely a "roll call" channel. Now it will serve a dual purpose. It is still the channel for ALL online DPers to be logged into. If you do not wish to RP in it, you may mute the channel until you're in the mood for RP (this allows people to still /chatlist and see you're online even if you're not on their friends' list, keeping personae's original function intact). When you are ready for RP, simply unmute the channel and RP your character's entrance.[/quote]

That's from the original post :)

There are no instructions on how to join the channel, though.