Dramatis Personae

Supporting immersive roleplay since 2003!
See Who's In Game Right Now!
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 5:58 pm

WARNING: Forums have been upgraded, please delete any old DP cookies from your browser, otherwise you may not be able to login correctly.

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:19 am 
Performer

Dramatis Personae - co-founded by Alanna and me - has been around in one form or another for nearly six years. In the beginning, certain paranoid people speculated that Alanna and I were the same person, but of course the many pictures of us together prove that is not the case. For most of DP's history we were on opposite coasts, meeting only at DP Cons.

Due to completely random circumstances, in four days, Alanna will be moving to an apartment 20 minutes from me.

Given the SIZE of this country and the completely non-me-related nature of the move, I just find that so weird and coincidental and momentous that I felt it needed its own Official Announcement.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:30 am 
Producer

Hehe. Wolf may be right: Los Angeles County might be about to explode from the sheer rp power now packed within its boundaries. :)

I joked to someone (re: LA cost of living) early on how we weren't "moving to the corner of Wilshire and Rodeo or anything." I am highly amused to find out (I just checked Google Maps) that we will be exactly 3 miles away from the corner of Wilshire Blvd and Rodeo Drive. O.O

The girls across the hall from me at work were joking I'd be like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman and get kicked out of all the stores. :) (NOT implying I dress like a hooker, just that I'd be WAY out of place.)

You know what happens when you dream of falling? Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you.
And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.

-->Obligatory Call Sheet plug here<--

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:46 am 
Producer

I guess this will really make LA DP's official headquarters.

I'm really excited for all involved. It is a very cool set of coincy-dinks.

Oh, Lord above
Send down a dove
With beak as sharp as razors
To cut the throats
Of them there blokes
What sells bad beer
To sailors

Meet my characters or see my hello post.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:48 pm 
Extra

As of right this moment, I am 4 hours from L.A. >.> do i count?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:15 am 
Performer

Woo hoo! West Coast represent!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:22 am 
Producer

Bit of a coincidence, but I was just thinking to myself that Mishell once said that once she was rich and famous she would pay to have all her freinds moved to L.A. - in chains if neccessary.

Hm, well I can't recall if she mentioned chains or not - that might just be my faulty brain.

Isn't Wolf fairly close to you already too?

I'd move there, but isn't your state run by Conan the Barbarian?

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build better and bigger idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." - Rick Cook

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:50 am 
Producer

Parlath wrote:
Hm, well I can't recall if she mentioned chains or not - that might just be my faulty brain.

Or personal preferences peeking through, perhapse?

Parlath wrote:
I'd move there, but isn't your state run by Conan the Barbarian?

/snicker

Oh, Lord above
Send down a dove
With beak as sharp as razors
To cut the throats
Of them there blokes
What sells bad beer
To sailors

Meet my characters or see my hello post.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:07 pm 
Extra

The other night I was talking to Mr Me about moving, and told him I'd love to experience a totally different culture in a completely different country. Then I said, and he agreed, "You know, moving to California would be like moving to a new country."

:D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:24 pm 
Producer

I believe his proper title is the Governator. :P

I don't know about a whole new country, but it's an experience... The bus drivers, however, I can tell you, are super-friendly! :)

You know what happens when you dream of falling? Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:20 pm 
Producer

Great stuff here: 8)

Yes, I am two - two and one half hours from Alanna's and Mishell's places in the Los Angeles area. I've been jones-ing to take a day off work and go up there.

I've been wanting to take days off from work anyhoo. One day to play with my wife. One day to take naps. One day to do something fun for me. (I've been thinking this for a long time but I cannot recall if I got to posting it or not. Please forgive me if I did.) Unfortunately, I was forced to take a personal day off last week for some unexpected business reference my Aunt's estate. My boss was cool about it, but I am that much more buried in assignments.

I talked to my wife yesterday about possibly taking a drive to see the LA DP-ers sometime soon. She's good with it. My luck, life and work schedule, I will be lucky if it's before DP-Con Vegas.

Time will tell,
Wolf

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter" - Ernest Hemingway

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:52 pm 
Producer

Don't sweat it, Wolf. We'll always have Vegas. :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:46 pm 
Performer

B Me Lone wrote:
The other night I was talking to Mr Me about moving, and told him I'd love to experience a totally different culture in a completely different country. Then I said, and he agreed, "You know, moving to California would be like moving to a new country."

:D

I have to agree with that! Except California is at least three different countries. Southern California and Northern California have entirely different cultures, and rural California is a third. That's actually an over-generalization because the state is a patchwork even beyond that, with different cultures living side by side, but it's a start.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:50 am 
Producer

It's funny, California is the exact opposite of New England. In NE, you have a bunch of tiny states with (basically) the same culture, from Maine to Connecticut. In CA, you have one big state, but you can experience culture shock in the space of two to three blocks. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:42 pm 
Producer

Gretchen and Alanna have the right of it. San Diego County alone (which is tiny compared to LA) has some really diverse communities; each with it's own flavor from life style, geo-political, cultural, language, rich, poor, yuppie, snobby, surfer, hippie, military, alternate life style, red neck, cowboy and everything I can think of. I can say California is probably weak on Amish and Quaker culture.

Then you get into the melting pot areas like Alanna spoke of. When I worked patrol, there were literally 54 languages spoken in the 92115 Zip Code alone. Known as East San Diego, East Dago, City Heights, or the Mid-City Division,

I cannot name them all em all but the predominate ones we dealt with were English, Spanish, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Laotian, Hmong, Russian, Somali, Arabic, Persian, Mandarin, Cantonese, Portugese, Indian (Asia), east Africans, west Aficans, and different dialects of Native Mexican tribes...

It was a fun, challenging and interesting place to work.

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter" - Ernest Hemingway

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:57 pm 
Producer

Quote:
I can say California is probably weak on Amish

Good thing, too-- can you imagine how a buggy would tie up the 405?