Dramatis Personae

Supporting immersive roleplay since 2003!
See Who's In Game Right Now!
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 5:54 pm

WARNING: Forums have been upgraded, please delete any old DP cookies from your browser, otherwise you may not be able to login correctly.

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: !!HACKING ALERT!!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:31 pm 
Producer

I just received the following email:

Alanna's email wrote:
from Blizzard Account Administration <noreply@blizzard.com>
to "ophanim@gmail.com" <ophanim@gmail.com>
date Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 8:15 PM
subject Account Verification

Greetings

An investigation of your World of Warcraft account has found strong evidence that the account in question is being sold or traded. As you may not be aware of, this conflicts with Blizzard's EULA under section 4 Paragraph B which can be found here:
WoW -> Legal -> End User License Agreement
and Section 8 of the Terms of Use found here:
WoW -> Legal -> Terms of Use

The investigation will be continued by Blizzard administration to determine the action to be taken against your account. If your account is found violating the EULA and Terms of Use, your account can, and will be suspended/closed/or terminated.
In order to keep this from occurring, you should immediately verify that you are the original owner of the account.

To verify your identity please visit the following webpage:
https://www.worldofwarcraft.com/account ... icate.html
Only Account Administration will be able to assist with account retrieval issues. Thank you for your time and attention to this matter, and your continued interest in World of Warcraft.

Sincerely,

Account Administration
Blizzard Entertainment

Only, the "authentication link" actually sends you to lulnolwownetbattle.110mb.com, where an exact replica of the actual battle.net login appears. This is a known scam. If you receive this, please let me know ASAP, and forward the message with the full headers (PM me if you don't know how to get these) onto hacks@blizzard.com. Thank you!

You know what happens when you dream of falling? Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you.
And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.

-->Obligatory Call Sheet plug here<--

Post subject: Re: !!HACKING ALERT!!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:12 am 
Performer

Those sneaky bastards....

:evil:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:22 am 
Producer

That's freakin ridiculous! :evil: :x :!: :roll: Thank you Alanna.

Sincerely,
Wolf

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter" - Ernest Hemingway

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:45 pm 
Producer

Just want to add that I just received the exact same email, only with "FINAL NOTICE" in the subject and the link was instead to wowbattlenet.pcriot.com. Please verify the link before clicking on it!

You know what happens when you dream of falling? Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:41 am 
Performer

No bueno.... for clarification anything "official" should be a http://www.battle.net or http://www.worldofwarcraft.com address.

Thankfully our benevolent web goddess outsmarted the keylogging ba.... uh.... terds.....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:02 am 
Producer

I did and I didn't. What happened to us was I forwarded it to Dan, and we clicked the link from his email. However, forwarding had stripped the bad link out, and so it just sent me to https://www.worldofwarcraft.com/account ... icate.html. There is no such page, so I just got an error message on worldofwarcraft.com. We cautiously logged in, verifying every step of the way, letter by letter, that it was the real wow/blizzard site (I think the domain we got was actually us.battle.net). Then we did a google search, established it was a scamming hoax, and then took a closer look at the email and its headers. I don't think Blizzard regularly routes their email through Belgium, or at least, none of my other Blizzard emails went through a proxy like that. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:25 am 
Performer

In lieu of the whole HACKING ALERT title, I figured that this is probably the best place to post this...

I have been getting a -LARGE- amount of in-game tells promising free mounts if I log into a random site and register. These have all come from character names such as: Bliiszd, Blizzr, Blizzdx, etc. All of these also post semi-official sounding adresses, i.e. "www.wow-blizszz.com/mount." I am sure that most of you are aware that these sort of tells are indeed people intent on hacking your account, I just felt that it needed some mention, seeing as I got at least four of these types of messages on a two and a half hour playing session tonight.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:08 am 
Producer

MAke sure when you get those to right-click (on control-click on a mac) on the name of the player sending the tell and choose "Report Spam" not only will it ignore that -account- on yours until you log out, it will let Blizzard know. With enough reports they automatically get banned. (And I suspect even without enough, a GM goes looking through the logs at some point.)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:51 am 
Producer

I have gone through the thread and highlighted all warnings and important related info in red (FF0000). You can do this on future messages by enclosing your text in tags like so:
Code:
[color=#FF0000]red[/color]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:50 pm 
Retired

It happened the same to me. I changed my password right away and that's all I heard of the story...