Dramatis Personae

Supporting immersive roleplay since 2003!
See Who's In Game Right Now!
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:20 pm

WARNING: Forums have been upgraded, please delete any old DP cookies from your browser, otherwise you may not be able to login correctly.

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:18 pm 
Producer

What is a Paced Event?
How is a Paced Event different from other events?
What's the difference between a DP Paced Event and all the other events I see in this forum?
How do I join a Paced Event?
Can anyone host a Paced Event?
Are Paced Events the only RP you plan around here?
How do I host my own Paced Event or other Role Play Event?

Oh, Lord above
Send down a dove
With beak as sharp as razors
To cut the throats
Of them there blokes
What sells bad beer
To sailors

Meet my characters or see my hello post.

Last edited by Jane Doe on Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:34 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: What is a Paced Event?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:23 pm 
Producer

What is a Paced Event?

Our Paced Event concept was hatched by our own Mishell, but has evolved and taken on a life of its own. In a nutshell, it is a group of RP characters who keep level pace with each other so everyone has a core group they can rely on to handle some of those pesky quests that really do need a group. However, the DP commitment to quality role play is not secondary to this level consciousness. Rather, we consider it an enhancement to RP.

For a quick look at all of our active events, check out our Call Sheet (from the main forum index, select “Events Listâ€

Oh, Lord above
Send down a dove
To cut the throats
Of them there blokes
What sells bad beer
To sailors

Last edited by Jane Doe on Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:24 pm 
Producer

How is a Paced Event different from other events?

Anyone of any level can “Tavern RP,â€

Oh, Lord above
Send down a dove
To cut the throats
Of them there blokes
What sells bad beer
To sailors

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:26 pm 
Producer

What's the difference between a DP Paced Event and all the other events I see in this forum?

Activity.

A DP Paced Event has an active leader who is a full DP member (see our organization page) and who upholds the responsibilities we see as being representative of DP ideals. It has regular participation as evidenced by discussions in its dedicated, indexed thread and attendance on the servers.

New and proposed paced events are not immediately considered DP Paced Events. But if you are in one, or see one that looks interesting, your continued participation is what will get it stickied and dubbed "DP."

Oh, Lord above
Send down a dove
To cut the throats
Of them there blokes
What sells bad beer
To sailors

Last edited by Jane Doe on Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:29 pm 
Producer

How do I join a Paced Event?

See a Paced Event that looks interesting? Create or select a character appropriate to the theme and jump in. If you are way behind in level, we recommend you send a PM to the leader expressing your interest. They can let you know how fast their individual group's pace actually is and if it is possible to catch up. Some move faster than others, some may be willing to idle levels to give you the time. We do not require individual groups to stick to any given speed; we only ask that they don't leave behind already established characters who are actively trying to remain in the paced range.

Oh, Lord above
Send down a dove
To cut the throats
Of them there blokes
What sells bad beer
To sailors

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:30 pm 
Producer

Can anyone host a Paced Event?

As mentioned in the What's the difference between a DP Paced Event and all the other events I see in this forum?, you must be a full member of DP to run a DP Paced event. However, anyone can run a normal paced event. Players new to our community are encouraged to dive right in. Enthusiasm for our RP experiments is one way to move from DP Auditioner to DP Performer real fast.

Oh, Lord above
Send down a dove
To cut the throats
Of them there blokes
What sells bad beer
To sailors

Last edited by Jane Doe on Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:31 pm 
Producer

Are Paced Events the only RP you plan around here?

Certainly not! The RP available in this community is as broad and diverse as its members. From individuals who can only play very sporadically to those who have slowly leveled their characters to 60, steeped in the shared history of one server, we pride ourselves on being a refuge and resource for all RPers.

Here are some of the more common events and event types we have run or participated in:

Tavern RP: perhaps the most familiar to all RPers in a MMORPG, this is how we refer to those moments of immersion that do not involve questing, but instead rely on sitting around or traveling in group while talking about the weather, the latest court intrigues or how your mother has taken ill. Rehashing battles after the fight is over is a common place for Tavern RP. Who doesn't enjoy a bit of celebration at the local inn once the evil overlord has been slain?

One-shots: Weddings, Christmas parties and storming the instance can all be considered one-shots. In DP, the focus really is on RP. This has made many of us allergic to pick up groups. If you are planning an event, whether it is a run through Deadmines to advance your quest journal or looking for a priest to perform the ceremony, or just want a fun night with all your peeps around, running a One-shot may be the way to go. Just because you're not in a paced event doesn't mean there isn't someone with an alt on your server who can help out with quests. Feel free to start a thread. Other One-shots (or even semi-regular events) could include:

Fishing Trips: Grab your poll and hit Stranglethorn Vale. I hear the Oily Blackmouth are biting.

Wilderwalks: Though long over due for another walk, we have been know to pick a start point and an end point and just walk. From Ashenvale to Gadgetzan, there is no better way to see the world than at a stroll. And the ice cream in the Salt Flats is the best in all of Azeroth.

Again, there are no limits. Feel free to put your ideas out there and find a cast for what ever you come up with.

Oh, Lord above
Send down a dove
To cut the throats
Of them there blokes
What sells bad beer
To sailors

Last edited by Jane Doe on Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:32 pm 
Producer

How do I host my own Paced Event or other Role Play Event?

If you write it, they will come.

First, start a fresh thread in the "Events & Pacers" forum describing what you have in mind and see how much interest you have in it.

Then, once you and your cast have agreed on the concept and a meeting date and time, post the following information below.

Event name
Topic id # (4 digit munber from the url of the discussion thread, not the whole link)
Event leader/host
Server
Level range (1-70 if all are welcome)
Day
Time (only full hour increments; all times posted in this thread should be in EST)

Jane Doe or another DP Producer will add your event to the Event List and delete the request below to keep things manageable in this thread. You will have the option once the event has been added to the Event List to add additional information as you edit your event.

That's it.

If you are hosting a Paced or One-shot Event, you are now a "DP Choreographer." As you develop a following and demonstrate your active support and leadership, your thread will get stickied, making it an official "DP Paced Event!"

Oh, Lord above
Send down a dove
To cut the throats
Of them there blokes
What sells bad beer
To sailors

Last edited by Jane Doe on Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:42 am, edited 4 times in total.