Dramatis Personae

Supporting immersive roleplay since 2003!
See Who's In Game Right Now!
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:33 pm

WARNING: Forums have been upgraded, please delete any old DP cookies from your browser, otherwise you may not be able to login correctly.

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Dramatis Personae FAQ
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:27 pm 
Producer

I've notice new people seem to have trouble finding the info they need about us. It was kind of haphazardly organized. This FAQ should help you out. Just click to answer!

Why can't I use a character name for my username?

Why the introductions?

What are the rules on what I can post?

Who's in charge?

Are you a guild? Can I join?

Do you have chat channels?

Why don't your "official" DP guilds use guild chat?

What's this Call Sheet I keep hearing about?

What is a pacer?

What servers are you on?

How do I meet people?

I'm going out of town for a couple weeks. How do I let people know?

How did you form?

Can I advertise in here?

How do I make a character account?

(Credit to Jane Doe for the format.)

Last edited by Alanna on Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:04 am, edited 18 times in total.

Post subject: Usernames
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:45 pm 
Producer

Q: Why can't I use a character name for my username?

A: This is a huge source of confusion for many of our new users, and we understand why. On most MMORPG-related message boards, you're supposed to sign up under your character name, because that's what everyone knows you as. Most guilds you only have one character, or at least one main, so this makes sense.

DP is different though (more on that below). Because we span all roleplay servers and quite a few of us have succombed to Altitis (that dreaded disease that causes you to actually discover the upper limit on number of characters), there is no single character you can know someone by. Moreover, because we emphasize the immersive aspect of MMO roleplay, we like to keep our characters in game and our RL selves here on the boards. Not to say there isn't crossover at all, but having a name behind the characters, separate from the characters, helps remind us there's a real person back there too.

So, bottom line, we don't allow player accounts under character names. Your player name does not have to be your real name. It can be any nickname, handle, or even an alternate spelling or shortened version of a character name. We know you may be known by other names on other boards, and we apologize for any confusion this may cause. We encourage you to put "Player of <character name>" or something like it in your signature, so people know who you are.

If do you make an account with a character name, don't panic! I don't allow users to change their own names because of the potential chaos that could ensue and possible fraud, but I can change usernames. So-- if you named your main player account after one of your characters, please PM or email me with a more OOC handle (it doesn't have to be your real name!! hardly anyone does that). Let me know your current name and the one you'd like to change it to. I will post an update so everyone knows it's still you. All your posts (past and present) will reflect the new name.

Once you have introduced yourself under a main account under a player name, you can have unlimited accounts under character names to post journals or whatnot.

Last edited by Alanna on Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Introductions
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:53 pm 
Producer

Q: Why the introductions?

A: We like you to introduce yourself right off the bat in our Introduction thread. It does not have to an expansive introduction, a simple
"Hey, my name is <username>, glad to join DP."
is good enough. Or, you can post your whole life story. We generally find somewhere in between is best-- give people somewhere to start, but not so much they start to snooze.

Your introduction serves two purposes:
1. You prove to us you're a real person and not a spammer.
2. You show us you're interested in getting to know other members of the community and not just here for the free punch and pie (i.e., to advertise your own group or event.)

Plus, we think it's just polite. We like to liken ourselves to a party. Would you just walk in and start eating the snacks? No, you'd introduce yourself, say hi, and casually work your way over towards the chips and dip.

Replies to your introduction will appear in "The Welcome Thread," which you can in turn reply to, if you'd like.

Some ideas for introduction topics, if you're shy or stuck on what to say:
-Where you're from, what you do for a living (student is common), and/or what you like to do besides WoW
-How you found out about us
-How you got into roleplay
-What you hope to get out of DP

Please DO NOT:
-Introduce yourself in character. We want to know YOU. We'll get to know your character(s) in game. You can also post journals and stories in the In Character section.
-Post an advertisement for your own group, website, or game. Fine to mention it if it's an integral part of you or your past, just try not to let it read like a commercial. We really don't appreciate people coming into our party and announcing loudly to everyone that there's a better one down the street-- especially first thing.

Last edited by Alanna on Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Rules
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:08 pm 
Producer

Q: What are the rules on what I can post?

A: The actual message board rules can be found here. The general idea is to create a positive, friendly environment without the bickering, flaming, and general unpleasantness of, say, the official WoW forums.

Rules violations may result in:
Your posts being edited, removed, or locked, depending on circumstances or severity.
Private reminders on our rules
Account suspension (for repeated problems with the same rule, for example, repeatedly posting political statements after being asked not to)
If you make a second player account, one or both of your accounts may be temporarily suspended until the Producers reach a conclusion on appropriate action.

Last edited by Alanna on Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Leaders
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:13 am 
Producer

Q: Who's in charge?

A: DP is under the beneficent rule of Her Most Esteemed Web Goddess, Alanna (that's me). (I swear I don't make these titles up for myself, they're thrust on me-- I swear!!)

Aiding me, and in some cases undertaking rather large fiefdoms of the their own, are my Producers. You can find links to short biographies on each of us on the Producer page of our website, or find a quick rundown and contact information here.

Please contact any of us about anything anytime.

Last edited by Alanna on Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Organization
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:53 am 
Producer

Q: Are you a guild? Can I join?

A: DP is not guild. We emphasize that we are an organization of players, not characters. We're a bunch of people brought together by a common love of roleplay. We exist to support roleplay and to help roleplayers find one another.

We believe guilds, being in game, should stay in character. Would or wouldn't your character be likely to sign up with a bunch of people and for what reason?

Since guilds are for your character(s) and DP is for you, the player, we see no conflict in membership in both, and some of our members do have character(s) in various guilds.

Last edited by Alanna on Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Chat Channels
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:07 am 
Producer

Q: Do you have chat channels?

A: Yes, but they are for YOU and other DP members only. Please do not give them out. If someone asks about DP, direct them to our WEB SITE ONLY: dramatis-personae.com or wowroleplay.com, as you prefer. The idea is that everyone should find out about our channels the way you just did. :)

Now, our two channels:

personae - All DPers should join personae. That way any DPer, new or old, can chatlist personae and see which members are currently on. Personae also serves as a roleplay channel - please see this thread for more details. It can also be muted if you wish to cut down on screen scroll.

ooc chat channel - Joining this channel is totally voluntary, and always out of character. The name of the channel changes every so often. The name is visible on the call sheet, but only to those who are logged into the forums. This optional channel should never be muted or hidden in a separate window, but instead you should only /join the channel if you are in the mood/free at the moment to chat. "Lurking" or idling excessively in the ooc channel is considered discourteous, akin to showing up at a party but putting on invisible ear-buds with loud music to drown out everyone's conversation. People can't tell you're "not there" and so will go on merrily trying to talk to you.

Because those in channel can be counted on to be available to chat, this is a great place for new people to meet other DPers and get to know everyone. If it gets too chatty for you, for whatever reason, feel free to leave anytime and join later. It's considered polite on this channel to identify yourself by your player name. We typically do it like so:

<--Alanna

If someone does that, they usually expect you to recipirocate.

Chat Channel Conduct

1. Stay postive, please. People are in game to have fun. Save your rant about your boss for the Rants forum.

2. If you are looking for company, even if there's no one on, stay on the channels (especially personae). You never know when someone might pop on, and you'd never know it if you're not in channel. DPers tend to go where other DPers are; new or rarely seen people make them even more curious. Don't give up!

3. Don't give out our chat channels to non members in-game or post them on other forums. Our channels are for our members to stay in communication with each other; they're not intended to be the first point of information for new people who don't know what we're about. Please let prospective members find out about the chat channels by coming by our website or forums and making an account.

Last edited by Alanna on Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:36 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Call Sheet
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:15 am 
Producer

Q: What's this Call Sheet I keep hearing about?

A: The Call Sheet originally started as a way for us to let others know when we logged into World of Warcraft where and who we were going to be, as well as seeing who else was currently on. My fiance, Dan, wrote the original program, and I've added onto it substantially since then.

Currently the Call Sheet features:
    *List of who is currently online, plus currently running and upcoming events
    *Searchable, sortable rosters for both players and characters
    *Profiles for characters and players, including contact information and characters lists for players
    *A full events list with details on where, what server, what day, and time.
So in a nutshell, the Call Sheet is our one-stop place to look up fellow DPers and their characters and make plans to meet up.

More info on the Call Sheet and what's coming next can be found here.

Last edited by Alanna on Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Servers
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:07 am 
Producer

Q: What servers are you on?

A: DP spans all roleplay servers, both Horde and Alliance. Earthen Ring and Argent Dawn are probably the most heavily populated on Alliance side, and Shadow Council and Kirin Tor have probably the largest concentration of DP Horde characters, but DPers tend to go where the other DPers are. We have events on many roleplay servers.

To see various DP characters on different servers, please see the Call Sheet's Character Roster. Simply select a server (and faction if you want) on the left and hit submit to see characters for that server.

Last edited by Alanna on Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Joining In
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:42 am 
Producer

Q: How do I meet people?

A: As to where and how to contact people, you have several options. Be persistent, be patient. Friends don't happen overnight.
1. In game -- join our chat channels. Identify yourself, be responsive, be friendly and positive. Don't leave, even if there's no one else on (ever), especially personae.
Come to Events. We have a lot, on many servers spanning many races.
2. Check the Call Sheet - See who's on, go join them, see what event might be going on right now or soon, research who's available around your level on your server/faction.
3. On the forums - Post interesting, witty, and/or informational stuff. Get to know people. DPers are much more likely to reach out to someone they feel is making an effort, and the most visible place for that is on the boards.
4. Direct message - The Call Sheet has contact info for everyone, email and PM. Don't be afraid to ask someone if your character could try hooking up with one of his/hers.

Last edited by Alanna on Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Away messages
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:52 am 
Producer

Q: I'm going out of town for a couple weeks. How do I let people know?

A: If you're going to be away for whatever reason, and want to let people know so they don't make plans around you or try to reach you, there are two options. You never need to share more details than you want to.

1. If you have access to the "Life" forum, and your reason is more personal, you can post it here. Just remember only other people with access to the Life forum will be able to see it.

2. If you don't have access to "Life," want to reach to reach the greatest number, or your reason is less personal (or you just don't care who knows), you can post it in the Talk forum here.

If it is personal and you have access to both, many people post the more personal reason in the Life forum and a more generic message in Talk.
For example-
Life: "I'm going to be away for two weeks at my mom's funeral."
Talk: "I have to go out of town for two weeks. I should be back by the fourteenth."

You don't have to post that you'll be away, but people who are used to playing with you might worry if you disappear without letting anyone know you'll be back.

If you're not going anywhere, you can use these threads to keep on top of who is going to be away, and wish him/her well if you like.

Last edited by Alanna on Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: History
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:55 am 
Producer

Q: How did you form?

A: The short version, in a nice timeline format:

September 2001 - Alanna starts playing EQ.

July 2002 - Alanna begins process to become an EQ Guide (volunteer customer service program)

January 2003 - Disgusted with lack of roleplay in a role-playing game, Alanna gets idea to start ooc rp guild.

March 29, 2003 - Charter for Norrathian Dramatis Personae is ratified by a GM on EQ's Prexus Server.

June 2003 - Alanna leaves Guide program, partially out of frustration, partially to devote more time to NDP.

October 2003 - Mishell begins playing EQ, also becomes disgusted with lack of roleplay, starts Strictly In Character on Karana Server.

January 2004 - Mishell contacts Alanna after reading about NDP on EQRPers. Mishell and Alanna enter into negotiations to merge guilds. It is decided that SIC and NDP will form an out of character roleplay coalition called EQ Masquerade to pool players and lore.

February 29, 2004 - A third message board and website is formed for players, and the two guild message boards become "character only."

November 2004 - Mishell takes extended break from MMORPGing due to various personal reasons, and steps down as leader of SIC and co-leader of EQM. Parlath takes over as head of SIC.

January 2005 - Mishell returns, and it is decided since so many of us were leaving EQ or devoting more time to new games, it would be a good time to expand, revise, and otherwise improve ourselves. We renamed ourselves Dramatis Personae. SIC and NDP still (so far as I know) exist on their respective servers, but I personally haven't played EQ since Fall '05 so I couldn't tell you.

Last edited by Alanna on Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Advertising
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:25 pm 
Producer

Q: Can I advertise in here?

A: DP exists for DP's benefit. We've worked very hard over years to build a solid membership and the resources that support it. We encourage people to come in and contribute. We frown on people coming in and using our own resources to try to lure people away from WoW and/or DP (since DP's primary outlet is WoW, it amounts to the same thing.)

To use our favorite party analogy, it's very bad form to come to a party and announce there's a better one down the street.

Further, DP does not endorse any events that are not Official DP Events, that is, started and run by one of our members primarily for other DPers. This is because we can't consistently verify the quality, attendence, or even continued existence of non-DP events.

Now, having said that, if you are a member (that is, you've introduced yourself and are interested in participating in DP) and you know of a roleplay event going on, feel free to post about it. Just because DP won't official endorse it doesn't mean some of our members might not be interested in attending.
Similarly, if you know of or join a really good roleplay guild, go ahead and tell us about it. Some might be interested in it.

To make it simpler:
1. Be a DP member first and billboard second. Don't make an account for the sole purpose of posting about your own event, guild, group, site, etc. If we don't know you at all, and you don't seem at all interested in knowing us, no one will pay any attention.
2. Posting you've discovered a great game is fine. Gushing about how much better this game is than WoW is not. We like WoW, we just got here and got comfy, so we're not leaving for years. Attempts to convert DPers from WoW will be very resented.

Post subject: Character Accounts
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:30 pm 
Producer

Q: How do I make a character account?

A: It's easy! Just make a new account on the message board. Most DPers put the character's server as their location, and many like to put "Played by _____" in the signature.

It is absolutely essential you use the same address as your player account-- otherwise my spiffy new spambuster bot will not know your account is a character account and delete it. I've automated character ranking and spammer deletion. If you don't remember which address you used, just click "Profile" to check on your player account. You can also edit your character account to the correct address.

You know what happens when you dream of falling? Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you.
And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.

-->Obligatory Call Sheet plug here<--

Last edited by Alanna on Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Pacers
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:34 am 
Producer

Q: What is a pacer?

A: A pacer is a group whose members mutually agree to stay within a five-level range of each other. This is done by designating one character the "pacer character" and staying within two levels above or three levels below that character.

Pacers serve two purposes:
1. You have a built in group in your level range for dungeons, instances, and/or elite quests.
2. We think it facilitates better immersive rp to have a group of IC friends and acquaintances that "grow up" together in WoW.

Pacer groups usually revolve around a racial theme, though some have been tried with classes.

For more information on Pacers, see the DP Paced & RP Events Overview thread and the Pacer Madness! forum.

You know what happens when you dream of falling? Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you.
And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.

-->Obligatory Call Sheet plug here<--

Last edited by Alanna on Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next