Dramatis Personae

Supporting immersive roleplay since 2003!
See Who's In Game Right Now!
It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:07 am

WARNING: Forums have been upgraded, please delete any old DP cookies from your browser, otherwise you may not be able to login correctly.

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 489 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: The Owls Who Fly at Dawn
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:19 pm 
Performer

The Owls Who Fly at Dawn
Server: Kirin Tor
Day: Tuesday
Time: 8 PM to 10 PM Central / Server time
Race: Any Alliance, Night Elf and Draenei preferred
Class: Any non-magic users (see below)
Current Level Range: 34-39
Event Leader: Kynroth (Finnegan)
Pacer Backstory: The Sleeper Awakes
In-Character Correspondence: The Hooting of the Owls
Character Journals: Kynroth Owlmantle, Allariana Silverleaf, Amaaris
Current Roster by Class: (Male Female)
    Druids: Finnegan (Kynroth), Magestorm (Mienor), Solimuse (Mikareth), Sword42 (Allariana), Zoltecv (Sshanya)
    Hunters: Amanda (Kyloriel), Jeremy (Rutra), Le D (Amaaris), Lyndon (Alathoren)
    Paladin: Zoltecv (Dyrmoc)
    Warrior: BranHop (Ginnean)
The Owls Who Fly at Dawn are a pacer on Kirin Tor. The guild is a militant order founded by Archdruid Fandral Staghelm and under the command of the half-mad ancient druid Kynroth Owlmantle. Their purpose is to seek out corruptive uses of magic, hindering and destroying through surgical strikes. The new threat of the sin'dorei, and the raising of their dead city on the wings of demonic magic, was the impetus behind the Owl's founding.

Night elves and draenei characters are preferred, but we can likely work in other races with specific RP hooks. Also, mages and warlocks are STRONGLY discouraged.

In game, the Owls are predominantly a story-driven PvE questing group, focusing on issues related to the Legion and to the welfare of Kalimdor. We will have occasional RP-driven PvP events, but these are OPTIONAL. If PvP is not your bag, the vast majority of the guild's activities will still be up your alley, I hope, and no one will be required or penalized for not taking part in the PvP skirmishes, most of which will likely be quick and brutal. Depending on how many PvPers we get, I may try to organize some IC battleground events, but these will be one-shots at different times than the scheduled pacer.

Please post here, or PM me, if you are interested in joining or would like more details.

*Argent Dawn Unit Director

Last edited by Finnegan on Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:44 am, edited 38 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:35 pm 
Performer

BREAKING NEWS!

4/30/08:
The pacer level is now 37, with the range for questing being 34-39.

The Callsheet continues to misbehave, so just a reminder that the pacer still begins at 9PM EDT, 8PM Central/Server time.

As a reminder, I will be leaving for vacation a week from today and returning on the 17th, so I will likely miss the next two pacer meetings.

I highly recommend that folks still get together, though, and work on getting caught up with our pacer quests and, even more specifically, work on leveling towards 40. I've got a special mount-gifting ceremony in mind, but I don't want to do that until everyone can actually mount up.

This also means that those of you who aren't night elves might have a little rep work to do (hopefully not much, though, since almost every single quest we've ever done as a pacer has been oriented towards Darnassus rep). Let me know if you need help with those quests, or a suggestion of which ones to do.

Summary of the Last Meeting
Kynroth and Rutra finished up the last stage of Reagents for Reclaimers, Inc., though for the stated purpose of scouting the demon encampment and taking trophies to drive some fear into their fel-tainted hearts.

We were ambushed by Lord Azrethoc, who very rudely took advantage of my lag issues and kicked Kynroth's ass, so we have more than just cause for a return visit to that particular little slice of sunshine in Desolace.

Quests for the Next Pacer
By May 20th, you should have done the Gelkis ally quests up through the meat stealing stage, leaving you with Ongeku in your quest log. This will be our roadtrip meeting, so plan ahead and think about some stories to tell or other things you might like to share on the journey. I'm considering even just having us walk the whole time, but it might be easier to just run in a raid group and confine all conversation to raid, so we don't have to worry about distance.

Try to wrap up the [url=url=http://wow.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?source=live;wquest=1466]Reclaimers[/url] quest line, with those of you who haven't done it using the aforementioned encounter with Azrethoc as an excuse to go back and mop up some more uglies. The return to Ironforge is non-pacer related, so report back to the dwarves whenever you like.

Also, the last bits of the Karnitol Shipwreck chain (which we began several weeks ago, searching for supplies headed for Feathermoon) might be a good goal to polish up over the next two meetings.

And of course Desolace has its share of Goblin quests, which are always hilarious.

Feel free to use these suggestions as a solid agenda, or come up with your own agendas while Kyn is indisposed (I'll post an IC reason for his disappearance, but probably another of those reports to Staghelm which he loves so much). Whatever you guys end up doing, have fun! I'll miss you all, and I look forward to diving back in when I get back!

Previous News

4/27/08:
Last week, we worked our way up to the Ongeku quest with the Gelkis, but that involves a trek aaaaaall the way over to the Swamp of Sorrows, and I thought it might be a lot of fun to set that quest aside for an entire pacer meeting. We don't often get a chance for our characters to simply chat casually during pacer times, so I was thinking a "road trip" meeting might be a nice change of pacer, strolling along to our destination along paths, swapping stories and such. Please let me know what you think of the idea.

Regardless, though, that would be more fun with lots of people, so I think we'll save that for a later date. Instead, I thought we might work on the last stage of the Reagent quests, doing some Keeper-sponsored demon slaughter as a palate cleanser after associating with the centaur last week.

Last edited by Finnegan on Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:39 am, edited 32 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:27 pm 
Retired

I've got a few characters who might be interested... when're ya'll meeting and stuff?

"Naive means that you desperately see the good where there might be none. Stupid means they just plain won't see what's right in front of them." ~ Vathryn
See the<a href="http://callsheet.dramatis-personae.com/index.php?a=viewevent&id=8" target="resource window"> Call Sheet</a> listing for the most up to date information.<p>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:36 pm 
Performer

That's a good question. Personally, I'm generally more free on weeknights than I am reliably at any one time on the weekends, so probably some weeknight that doesn't conflict with any other pacer.

With that in mind, I am very open to suggestions from any interested parties. Also, this would be my first pacer, so advice from past and current pacer leaders would be very, very much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:26 pm 
Producer

I've only run one pacer, but my best advice you're already following. That is to have a theme, and don't be afraid of putting limitations on the types of characters that could reasonable be a part of the organization. I find it actually inspires great character concepts, rather than stifling them as some might think.

The other advice I'd give is mostly advice that was given to me. That is to persevere, no matter what. Show up for your pacer meetings as often as possible, even if no one else does. Use the Call Sheet. Work with people to integrate them into your storyline, and offer story hooks to players to get them more directly involved. Share your workload as much as you can. If others are willing to help with guild management, run a plotline, etc., take them up on it. Heck, offer incentives to those that do.

I'm interested in the idea, though my involvement may be limited by both time and my investment in the Jade Dawn. I'm confident that I can avoid using OOC knowledge to the best of my conscious ability, but I like surprises, and I'd rather not have to try to think about it. So if I make a character for this, it'll probably be something of a fringe member.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:43 pm 
Producer

I'm not a pacer leader (as good as I am at leading stuff out here OOC, I really suck at the IC stuff, believe it or not, plot and all that good stuff), but speaking from long-time experience managing rpers (or "herding cats," as we've affectionately come to call it), you really have to make people want to do themselves what you want them to do. You can yell at them and complain and threaten and plead, but nothing motivates like self-interest. :)

You can see this prominently displayed all through the most successful pacers. Sometimes the reward is being part of the plotline, sometimes there's extra incentives, like Mishell's extra credit point system. I use it to convince people that they're helping themselves -- really! -- when using the Call Sheet and not just stroking my ego ;).

What specifically will work for you, I can't really say :(. And you've got an extra challenge with the potential PVP aspect (which might get some people, but will turn others off). Actually, isn't there a PVP-RP thread around here? Check it out and try to recruit people who are into the PVP aspect. You might get Dwarvenbrew, for instance. :)

You know what happens when you dream of falling? Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you.
And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.

-->Obligatory Call Sheet plug here<--

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:31 am 
Retired

I've done that myself, actually. Spent the afternoon with Taigh in Warsong Gulch. Actually got a few kills, too, in spite of being under the 19 level cap and not ub3rly twinked out.

I swear, though, nothing brings out the self-important idiots like PvP. We lost three matches and won one... but what a price. *tries to find something to rejuvenate his jangled nerves*

Never invoke the gods unless you really want them to appear. It annoys them very much.
Jack's ... not really someone you can plan around. - Mishell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:41 am 
Performer

Thanks for the advice, Pirate and Alanna. Keep it coming! :D

As far as managing roleplayers (nerdherding, I've always called it, with utter affection), I've been GMing tabletop games for... dear lord... almost twenty years....

*feels old*

I'm not sure how well that experience will translate over to pacers, but I do at least feel comfortable with coming up with a storyline and adapting it on the fly as players invariably run riot all over it. Anyone interested in "co-chairing" the pacer is very welcome, though!

And the PvP aspects will always be optional. No one has to flag to be a part of the guild. THAt being said, I think I'll go and drop a post or two in that RP-PVP thread, as suggested. And yes, Jack, it plays havoc with my adrenaline, too. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:44 pm 
Retired

*Wails* Dang it! I missed all the fun on Saturday. :cry:

*sighs* Darn it.

However, I would be interested. :D I would like to try a Night Elf Druid most likely; I love the cat form. :P (I know not until 20, but a girl can dream!)

Have to figure out a name, details, and all that. But I would definitely be willing to get one going for your Owls. :D

To be nobody but yourself, in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you like everyone else, means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. ~E.E. Cummings

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:05 pm 
Performer

That would be great, Amanda! :D

Kynroth is actually my first druid, and I'm really enjoying the class so far.

For what it's worth, storywise, Kynroth was one of the last druids awoken from the Barrows because of his instability when facing demons. Malfurion Stormrage considered him too unpredictable, and wanted him left sleeping until the Legion was subdued. Of course, Stormrage is missing now, and Fandral Staghelm has no such compunctions.

The long, long sleep is how I'm justifing Kynroth's status as a low-leveled druid, despite the fact that he's so old. I figure many of his skills and talents have atrophied over the millennia, and he needs to knock some of the moss off of his beard before he's back to where he was.

I could definitely use old comrades-in-arms of Kynroth's, equally ancient druids that also, for one reason or another, have only recently awoken, possibly even due to Kynroth himself seeking them out to enlist them in the Owls.

Of course, young druids are welcome too. :) Just tossing out possible story hooks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:09 pm 
Producer

Heh. I was thinking of a druid, myself. Made one, in fact, just to try it on. She's definitely a young elf, and impressionable. Perhaps Kynroth is interested in taking on an apprentice or two? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:14 pm 
Performer

Absolutely. The more impressionable, the better.... :twisted:

What? Cult? Who said cult? :wink:

Also, if you're interested in the group, but would rather play a more level-headed type, Priests (or other representatives) of Elune are the representatives of sanity in this group, providing a moderating influence to Kynroth's rabid anti-magic bent. You don't have to be a priest to fill in this role, though! Hunters or warriors also seem to be fairly loyal to Tyrande.

Last edited by Finnegan on Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:49 pm 
Producer

Awesome. ;)

Her name is Luadre. I'm thinking her former master met his end at the hands of the sin'dorei, or some other arcane influence. Perhaps Kynroth caught wind of this and decided to turn her anguish into hatred for his own purposes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:58 pm 
Performer

Sooo tempting. I may jump on this a couple weeks from now, but I'm too focused on the BE pacer for the next few weeks to really get into anything new just yet. Though a basic character idea is jumping out at me. I like the idea of having a half-mad person in charge to get behind.

I now make sure light goes down the right holes for a living.

Character List

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:02 pm 
Performer

Wonderful! :D

I will be on later this evening, and we can roleplay the recruitment, if you're up for it and will be around.

And Kynroth honestly believes he's doing right for all of his people. If he uses Luadre's background, it will be with a genuine belief that he is offering her a just and righteous chance for vengeance.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 489 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 33  Next