Dramatis Personae

Supporting immersive roleplay since 2003!
See Who's In Game Right Now!
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:33 pm

WARNING: Forums have been upgraded, please delete any old DP cookies from your browser, otherwise you may not be able to login correctly.

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:46 am 
Performer

This post: Introduction
Second post: Tribe information - to help with character creation
Third post: Scheduling information - includes scheduled quests!
Fourth post: Character list

Starting January 4th!

To help those of you who are looking to make new characters for the Tauren Roleplay Contest, there will be a guild starting up on Steamwheedle Cartel server. My character Amaya will be starting the guild and providing a story hook, and I will be directing a closed-ended storyline which will span at least a few months.

Mostly, though this is just a way to help foster RP during the contest and give you something to rally around while you meet new people and rediscover the world of the Tauren.

Participation in this guild is NOT required. You can win the RP contest without joining the guild. This is an in-character guild, so only join the guild if your character, IC, is a member of the Brightburn Tribe. The hope is that this story idea will help those of you who are still trying to decide what sort of character you'd like to create, and give you a focus for your RP.

Why choose Steamwheedle Cartel/The Brightburn Tribe?

Unlike the more casual, loosely-connected guild on Scarlet Crusade (The Shared Path), the Brightburn Tribe is an actual Tauren tribe, meaning all the members will be related. Full information on the tribe will be in the second post to aid you in character creation. This guild will be rigidly paced, with certain quests set aside to do each meeting and a strict level band enforced in between. Leveling will be VERY SLOW (leveling schedule given below), so this guild would be best either for those who can lose themselves in tavern RP/Auction House speculation for hours and days at a time, or who can pick up a character after a week or two or three playing others and still feel comfortable picking up where they left off.

End ooc blather.

===============================================
This note is posted in Tauren runic writing on the tent of Thunee Brightburn, Wife of Aman, the Late Chief of the Brightburn Tribe.

IT IS TIME, MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS.

Your Chieftain's wife, Thunee Brightburn, has died in battle against the dwarves who ravage our land. I, Amaya, the Chief's eldest daughter, wish to take my father's place now that I am of age, but it is not Tradition to have a female Chief and I do not wish to cause strife. But also, my brothers are not shamans, and it is Tradition that a Fire-Speaker should lead us. This is the first time in our tribe's history that there has been no male shaman to take up the mantle of leadership.

So I have prayed to the ancestors, and they have granted me wisdom. Rather than argue among ourselves over who is best to lead, we shall let Fate and the spirits choose.

All between the ages of forty-five and seventy who would wish to lead the Brightburn Tribe will undergo a series of tests. The spirits will winnow those who do not have the necessary devotion, strength, endurance, wisdom, and wit to lead our tribe. The last Tauren standing who does not fail any of the tests will become the chosen leader of our people.

If you fail a test, you may participate in later tests for fun or sport, but only he or she who stands undefeated above the rest will earn the approval of the spirits and of our ancestors.

If you wish to participate in the tests, please speak with me. And may my father's spirit burn brightly in the eyes of the Earthmother.

Last edited by Mishell on Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:34 pm, edited 15 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:02 pm 
Performer

Important information about Tauren: Here

Amaya's journal: Here

The Brightburn Tribe

If you wish to create a character for this storyline, here are the rules, as well as some lore about this tribe.

*Your character must be between the ages of 45 and 70. We have decided, based on what we can glean from the WoW RPG book that as a mental shortcut you can tell yourself that Tauren ages are roughly human age x 2.

* You may not be BOTH the son of Aman Brightburn AND a male shaman. Otherwise you would be the automatic heir!

* Names: The tribe follows patriarchal descent, as do the names. So your surname need not be Brightburn. For example, you could be the son of the Chief's sister, who wed a Tauren with another surname (perhaps a deed name passed down from his own grandfather). This is only one of many examples. If you wish to play a son or daughter of the chief, your first name must start with Ama-. Examples: Amaya, Amatou.

*Physical appearance: The tribe has been fairly self-contained for many, many generations, and therefore tends heavily toward reddish and tan shades. If black = 1 on the character creation screen and you click the arrow to the right, the following colors are preferred. Female: 5, 6, 7, 8. Male: 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. The colors in orange are meant to be the most "common" and so are strongly preferred to help give the flavor of an interrelated tribe. If you choose to play a Tauren of another color, plan to support it with a backstory that includes blood from outside the tribe.

* Because children and fertility are greatly valued in the Brightburn tribe, out-of-wedlock children are 100% socially acceptable if conceived with consent of all parties (including the spouse!), though marriage is revered in the Brightburn tribe and children of married couples are given priority when it comes to inheritance. Out-of-wedlock children conceived without consent of the spouse are not directly punished, though the dishonest partner will be heavily shamed and the child's social life will probably suffer as a result.

* The Brightburn tribe, particularly the Chieftain line, is known for short but spectacular lifespans. It is a tribe of unusually fiery, passionate Tauren who revere fire and see shamans as natural leaders. Now that the world is changing so very much, the tribe is ripe to accept a non-shaman leader, but it will certainly be a struggle!

* The Brightburn Tribe fully accepts the unification of the Tauren people under Cairne Bloodhoof. In theory. In practice, they are still very tribe-loyal and consider Tauren of other tribes to be "outsiders" and a bit ""foreign." Their respect for Cairne though is immense, as is their respect for Thrall.

Hit me with any further questions!

Last edited by Mishell on Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:14 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:08 pm 
Performer

Leveling Schedule

Yes, this is meant to be SUPER slow, in order to open up participation to as many people as possible. If you're not good at pacing yourself or playing a "part time alt," you may wish to try the Scarlet Crusade Tauren guild The Shared Path, which has no leveling restrictions.

Please be EXACTLY the level specified on the date specified! :)

All meetings begin at 7pm Eastern/server time.

Week 1 - Jan 4: level 4 - Rite of Strength
Week 2 - Jan 11: level 7 - Rite of Vision
Week 3 - Jan 18: level 12 - Rite of Wisdom/Arrachea
Week 4 - Jan 25: Level 14 - Plainstriders, Zhevra, and Prowlers
Week 5 - Feb 1: Level 15

Approximately one level a week thereafter.

Last edited by Mishell on Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:59 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:56 pm 
Performer

Mishell here, butting in to BT's post space to put in a list of our characters thus far. :) I am linking to info about them so that you can be as familiar with them ooc as your character should be IC.

I am listing ages too if you have them. Keep in mind that 50 is approximately equivalent to 25.

Amaya Brightburn - Elemental Shaman - Miner/engineer - Age 50
Amagan Brightburn - Druid - Age 51
Ondathu Autumnblaze - Shaman - Age 45
Atsahn Autumnblaze - Hunter - Age 55
Taunka Thundermane - Warrior - Age 70
Basnen Kodohide - Shaman
Wishanwi Flinthoof - Shaman
Eadea Whitehorn - Hunter
Kangila Cloudcrow- Druid - age 65

===================

This is a neat premise.

I'm definitely interested. My scheduling issues are: not Thursdays as that's the Forsaken pacer, Saturdays in the afternoon (after 1 PM Central) are particularly good, Sundays between 2-4 Central are booked, Tuesdays are not good for consistency, everything else is equal.

I'd also be interested in working with someone in developing a sibling pair, someone for my tauren to compete against other than "just" for the right to lead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:05 pm 
Performer

Blake, I've really enjoyed Stergale and Winn's comradely villainy in the Forsaken pacer, and I'd love to play a hyper-competitive sibling with you.

My concerns are two-fold:

One, depending on scheduling, I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it to pacer times (I've staked out Thursday evening for the Forsaken pacer once it starts up again officially, but other than that I can't say yet).

Second, I have a baby tauren (currently level 9) on Scarlet Crusade whose personality is perfect for the Brightburn tribe, but I want to keep him there, perhaps eventually catching up with the tauren pacer (hey, a man can dream). Is there a firm DP rule against having the "same" character on two servers?

*Argent Dawn Unit Director

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:02 pm 
Performer

Rat has his warrior Devion on two servers. If your brain can manage that (mine couldn't!!!) then have at it! As for the competition itself... SCr Moobwen would be competing against SwC Moobwen in the contest. Which could get odd, but we'll have no problem tracking the scoring as they'd have different Black Books, different journals even (having met different folks and had different experiences).

Good luck!

Oh and we're looking at Wednesdays after the Dwarf pacer probably. The spot formerly occupied by Anduin's Irregulars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:59 pm 
Performer

Aaagh, well, I can't make Wednesdays, anyway. :(

If it would make it easier to do a cross-server character, I just won't enter myself in the contest. I'm just looking forward to bulling it up. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:02 am 
Performer

It won't cause any problems for us at all!

I won't nail down a time just yet - we'll see who all would be really interested in the storyline and see what the consensus is. Wednesday would be nice as the spot is opening up in the schedule and there will be people used to RPing Wednesday nights that might want something new to do.

However if none of the former Irregulars are interested there won't be much cause to use the old spot. So please advise as to your own schedule preferences. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:41 am 
Performer

I guess we'll just have to wait to see who's interested in the event in general and when it is, but I think it would be great fun to work with you, Finn, if it ends up being scheduled at a time you can play. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:13 am 
Performer

All right! In order to facilitate scheduling, let's get a list of those who are DEFINITELY interested, having read the descriptions and the leveling schedule. Please post with the following:

Character Class:
Character Gender:
Days/times you are available (convert to Eastern/New York time please):
Level of Interest, 1-10:

1 means "if I happen to be bored out of my mind one day and notice everyone on I may join"

5.5 means "I will probably make about half the meetings."

10 means "I want to WIN the competition so you'd better schedule it sometime I can make EVERY MEETING for at least the next three months!!!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:52 pm 
Performer

Atsahn "Shoots-the-Sky"

Class: Hunter

EST Availability: Monday and Friday evenings between five and nine PM, certainly. Tuesdays and Wednesdays at the same times are possible but not easy, and I will certainly miss some of the meetings.

Level of Interest: Very high, but, as much as I would like to say "10", my past experience indicates that my work and homelife will not permit me perfect enough attendance for anyone to base the decision on me. As long as it's on a weeknight (and not conflicting with the Forsaken pacer on Thursdays), I will do my damnedest to be there -- beyond that, don't factor my times into the decision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:57 pm 
Performer

Ok Finn and Blake, start conspiring re: your siblings, because I feel sure I'll be able to arrange a time that is good for the two of you at least a large portion of the time. :)

Who else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:12 pm 
Performer

Ondathu "Stonecaller"

Class: Shaman

Availability (EST): M, W, F (6 PM to 11/12), Sat (2:30 PM onwards), Sun (5 PM to 11/12)

LOI: 9

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:25 pm 
Performer

Amagan Brightburn

Class:
Druid

Availability (EST): M, T (3PM-12) W (3PM-8, end of Dwarf Pacer to 12), Th (3PM-8PM), F (3-whenever), Sat (6AM-whenever), Sun (12:30PM - 12)

LOI: 9.5

EDIT:

Now in Color

Last edited by Jeremy on Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:57 pm 
Performer

Okay, so, right now I'm looking possibly at:

Fridays - 7pm Eastern/server time, which is:
Fridays - 4pm Pacific.

How does this work for everyone? This would put our first meeting on January 4th.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next