Dramatis Personae

Supporting immersive roleplay since 2003!
See Who's In Game Right Now!
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:30 pm

WARNING: Forums have been upgraded, please delete any old DP cookies from your browser, otherwise you may not be able to login correctly.

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:59 am 
Producer

War Stories
What: Weekly Pacer
When: Fridays at 10:30pm (Official Start Date: July 24)
Where: Wyrmrest Accord
Who:

Lyndon - Troll Priest
Pirate Spice - Orc Rogue - Akoga Razorgrin
Ayradyss - Orc Warlock - Dokaya Bladewalker
Chezcaliente - Troll Mage - Kel'akh
Jaw - Forsaken Warrior - Ewell Barrett Browning (Ebb)
Inuki42 - Tauren Druid - Auchsin
Mythiene - Blood Elf Paladin - Aliste
LeatherMartini - Tauren Warrior - Eddom Shatterhoof
Ranagrande - Troll - Zeroko
Ravencat13 - Troll Shaman - Ha'kal of Sen'jin
Blake's Tiger - Troll Shaman - Jinda'kari
Shadowsong - Tauren Druid - Lohrin Stormhammer

Link to Episode Guide

I've put the rest of this post as a spoiler since it bothers me that I rambled on so long. The spoiler tag is original post about starting War Stories. It's a long rambling post by me that discusses a lot of things and mentions the basic idea behind starting War Stories.

Spoiler:
I have been thinking about starting a late night weekday pacer for a while now. Mostly because my greatest limiting factor is time. I just can't reliably make the 7/8/9 pm eastern start times for most of the pacers at DP. Plus, I hate showing up late to events/pacers.

So, first I wanted to gauge how many people would be interested in a semi-late night pacer/weekly event?

The times I am thinking of would be basically:
A) 10pm-12am eastern (9pm-11pm central, 8pm-10pm mountain and 7pm-9pm pacific)
B) 10:30pm-12:30am eastern (9:30pm-11:30pm central, 8:30pm-10:30pm mountain and 7:30pm-9:30pm pacific)
C) 11:00pm-1:00am eastern (10pm-12am central, 9pm-11pm mountain and 8pm-10pm pacific)
D) 11:30pm-1:30am eastern (10:30pm-12:30am central, 9:30pm-11:30pm mountain and 8:30pm-10:30pm pacific)

These times would be on any weekday (M-F). Weekends are just too difficult for me to be on reliably at any time.

Here is my kernel of an idea. Which by no means we would need to use it is just something I was thinking about. The idea makes some assumptions. I’ve been listening to a lot of D&D podcasts of late and the idea of a group template seems appealing to me. My idea assumes that all the characters have a history together - that they all know each other - the exact details would be decided before the first meeting.

What I thought of would be that all the characters served in the military under a leader (a captain or sergeant). We’ve all done our time and been dismissed from service to follow whatever pursuits we wanted. However, we’ve all kept in touch through various methods. We all have a mutual respect of this leader and have an invested interest towards him (Father, Brother, Lover). The leader sends a character a note asking him to meet but never shows. Then the character (unsettled by this event) contacts the various members of our group to discuss what to do, what it means, etc.
Spoiler:
I figure this sort of scenario could work in various ways. 1. We could get a rumor about our leader that forces us to go to certain areas/instances. 2. Quests could be handled by either: we’re here we might as well help out the npcs of this area or X NPC has information on our leader but won’t help us unless we help them (probably some hand waiving involved - as in "Fine Thrall! I'll go get you this Leutenant's Insignia from Skull Rock mountain but in exchange I expect to get the information I'm looking for!) 3. Any absences could be explained as that character is exploring a rumor on his own and will report back to the group.

If this ends up being fun and interesting, I would in no way think that we would always be searching - it would have to resolve in some fashion and then we’d either start something new or just see where the RP takes us. Does that make sense?

Is this too short-sighted of an idea? Too boring? Old and busted? Has everyone done this sort of idea way too many times to be fun?

I like mysteries, puzzles and riddles so I may try to incorporate some of that as well. To that end, I was thinking maybe I could incorporate some Board RP to effectively handle the difficulties of that sort of thing in-game? Is that against the rules? I don’t have anything in mind at the moment but I thought it may be an interesting aspect to explore.

Some things to keep in mind:
1. I’ve got no experience running a group.
2. I suck. I suck at everything - from roleplaying to having an original idea to actually being able to play WoW. If this ends up materializing AND being fun then it’s all your fault and will have nothing to do with me.
3. I tend to over think things and come up with ideas that are so complicated that they become near-impossible to pull off. It’s like trying to swallow a 6 foot sub whole rather than taking a bite of it.
4. Server, faction, race and class are all up for grabs. I’d think it would be beneficial to have a well rounded group as far as class goes but other than that it matters very little for me. I roll up alts every 5 minutes anyway.

See my current character focus and playtime availability

If you think this post is long, you should see my other posts!!

Last edited by jaw on Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:37 am, edited 14 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:15 pm 
Producer

Being in Pacific time zone, I found a lot of nifty looking pacers were over while I was still in "rush hour" traffic home. (Averaged 8.6 MPH on way home last year). I expect to be reliably available Tuesday and Friday for any of those time slots. Is Friday functionally a weekend night?

I'd be available the later time slots Monday -- keep hoping to make it to Gnome pacer again real soon now.

As far as servers go -- Will Roll Alts for RP.

Lyndon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:21 pm 
Performer

Okay... I'm just swinging by but will try to summarize my feedback.

:arrow: 11 PM works under my current schedule. Sadly that is bound to change all too soon. So I must ask to be disregarded here.

:arrow: The idea is good, and it fits my floating idea of a Human warrior or paladin. I've been thinking of rolling a military character and I even have a couple ideas for his name. For the same reason -and because I'm hopelessly biased- I'd vote for it to be Alliance based. Irf you manage to get riddles fit into the plot, I welcome it. I got sort of lost about the board RP though.

What else... well that I might not be able to make it to the event even if it becomes a reality. So my post is intended more as feedback and encouragement than a pledge of participation. I'm sorry, but I can't commit any further involvement at this point. I wish I could.

You're on the right track as far as I'm concerned, jaw. Godspeed.

WoW status: ACTIVE
______

Professor Hubert Farnsworth wrote:
"Oh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr. I'm-My-Own-Grandpa!"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:50 pm 
Producer

Lookee Thar! I come back to fix a time typo and I've already got two responses. Sweet!

@Lyndon - I consider Friday a weekday because I work on it. Weekends are bad for me because I get up early because my son gets up early, work on my house and/or yard, clean my fish tanks, drive all over the place, cook dinner, visit with family, put my son to bed, and then fall asleep exhausted. Insert any number of other things that I need to take care of in addition to the above. Friday doesn't apply because I end up not having to do all that other junk.

@Naki - Thanks for the encouragement! I don't really know what I mean with the Board RP. It was just something I thought to use as a tool in between meetings. Roleplay some things on the boards and some things in-game? We could roleplay a past event (like a flash back) that would then be referenced or play a part in our in-game meeting. Does that make sense?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:41 am 
Extra

I'd be interested in having a character join a new pacer or something similar, and this time would suit me if it was Tuesday, Thursday or Friday night (as those equate to Wed/Fri/Sat afternoons for me, all of which I'm not normally at work during!).

I'd like to suggest Orc or Forsaken if Horde; Human, Dwarf or Dranei if Alliance. I think they suit the militaristic personality type most!

Of all of those, for this particular scenario I think my top three would be Orc for the honourable tribal "savage" approach; Human for the broad spectrum of possible personalities from Paladin, to "scout", to mercenary; and Forsaken for the us vs. them, cruel brutality approach.

I think the idea of having an overall story arc, with at least three broad group goals laid out in advance would be the best approach. Then to create characters with a whole bunch of personal goals that may work with, through or against the group goals or a mixture of all of the above.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:13 am 
Performer

I'm into the idea and could make a weekly event especially this late because that's when almost anything I could be doing any day would be long over.

PS: Wyrmrest Accord could use some love...if we're looking for a server. ^_~

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:58 am 
Producer

Time is often an issue for me as well, as most Eastern-based pacer group events start about the time I'm preparing or eating dinner. So I'm excited about the possibility of a more late night event. Something starting around 10 Eastern (7 Pacific) would be just about perfect in my book.

Some feedback:
Quote:
1. I’ve got no experience running a group.

Neither have many of our past pacer leaders. But I think you're already on the right track. You've given people parameters for their characters and the story, which I firmly believe inspires good concepts, rather than limiting them. The best advice I can give is to pay attention to the kinds of characters your players create within those parameters (I'm talking about personality and background, not so much about race and class), and let that inform you about the types of stories they're interested in.

Quote:
2. I suck. I suck at everything - from roleplaying to having an original idea to actually being able to play WoW. If this ends up materializing AND being fun then it’s all your fault and will have nothing to do with me.

Lies! This thread is evidence of that. ;)

Quote:
3. I tend to over think things and come up with ideas that are so complicated that they become near-impossible to pull off. It’s like trying to swallow a 6 foot sub whole rather than taking a bite of it.

So keep it simple. The concept you've got works well to incorporate existing quests, so a lot of the stories will move themselves along without much nudging. It can also help to encourage other players to pick up the reins once in a while for a side plot (though, admittedly, this only occasionally gets results).

Quote:
4. Server, faction, race and class are all up for grabs. I’d think it would be beneficial to have a well rounded group as far as class goes but other than that it matters very little for me. I roll up alts every 5 minutes anyway.

Wyrmrest Accord sounds good to me. I'd only ask that we not go to Earthen Ring. It's got plenty of traffic...and quite frankly I'm almost out of character slots there. :oops:

As for race, do we have to pick just one? Depending upon the particular military involved in the story, it may or may not be limited. For instance, when I ran Anduin's Irregulars, it was based on the Stormwind Army, so it was human-only (with minor exception). But if we were to play a more general Alliance or Horde military unit, mixed races (or even just a specific mix, such as "orcs and trolls only") would be viable.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:50 pm 
Producer

Friday nights would be a theoretical possibility for LM and I; I'm not going to commit us to anything until I see how our schedules go as we get settled in the new house/job/life.

We're EST folks and my job requires me to be up early on weekday mornings, so Friday's really the only feasible day. As I said, this is a maybe sort of thing for now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:46 am 
Producer

First off, I want to say thanks to everyone who responded. And secondly, this is going to be another wall of text post from me. Apologies in advance.

Okay, it looks like we've got 4-7 members plus me interested in a late night pacer/weekly event.

Lyndon
Chezcaliente
Branhop
Pirate Spice
Naki Wolfblood as a maybe?
LM and Arya as a maybe?

Unless there are any wild objections, Wyrmrest Accord is fine by me as a server.

Also, it looks like Tuesday and Friday’s seem to be a consensus for everyone. Is there a preferred day between those two? For me personally, I would rank Tuesdays ahead of Fridays but I wouldn’t want to exclude anyone (even if they may or may not be interested). So, I am putting it out to the group.

Which day would you guys prefer?

Tuesdays from 10pm-12am (eastern)
Fridays from 10:30pm-12:30am (eastern)

I threw in an Friday’s at a half-hour later for two reasons: 1. Other than Spice, the times seemed somewhat irrelevant. And I’m hoping that the extra half-hour won’t be a deal breaker for him; 2. That extra half-hour would be better for me personally as it would cut down on any interference provided by my wife. So, I wouldn’t have to rush - in case my wife wants to go out to dinner and we get home at 9:45. I hope that’s okay.

My original idea that I have already explained (some-what) would make us EX-military. We’ve already served our time. I’m assuming that both alliance and horde militaries have a period of time to which you conscript. Logically, I don’t they think they would have indefinite times of serving. I don’t know if there is any lore in or out of game that supports this thought. It’s just something that makes sense to me (and also fits the background story/template thing).

As far as group make-up goes - I would tend to agree with Spice that it should be mixed race. I don’t see a lot of that on DP and it is something that I would like to do. I can maybe see some interesting interactions if say we have a Forsaken character who has proven to be trustworthy through his actions but his motives may be in doubt (similar to Raistlin from Dragonlance) - the easiest angle to take with a Forsaken. Though, if the group would like to make it race specific then I would be fine with that.

Does anyone have a preference for faction? Other than Naki, nobody has mentioned anything. I, personally, would like Horde but I just like the horde and their models better than the Alliance. I always tend to think Horde first and then the Alliance.

Also, is everyone cool with the ex-military searching for our leader type thing? I had another idea over the weekend but the idea would limit us to a specific race.

I was sort of thinking that we could all be from one clan or tribe (so, that would limit us to Orc, Troll, Dwarf or Tauren) and that our clan/tribe has developed some malaise that we are searching to cure. The characters involved would all be the healthiest (though not necessarily free of the malaise) among the clan and we’ve been sent out to research a cure. On the horde side, I think we would go to the Forsaken lands and the RAS to research a cure and on the Alliance side we would be seeking out the Draenai for a cure.

Any preferences for Pacer or Weekly Event?

Once we have all the time, faction, race stuff ironed out - how should we handle the character creation? Have I given enough of an outline for you guys to run with? Would you like something more definite? As I said earlier, I’ve been listening to a lot D&D podcasts and it seems some group templates call for a questionnaire to help with creation. Is that something that would be beneficial? I tend to agree with Spice that some restrictions would promote creativity.

Sorry if I seem to be polling you guys for all this information. I could just as easily say we’re doing this and this and leave it at that but I tend to work better when I brainstorm with other people. Just let me know if you want me to put on my big boy pants and make a decision. I don't want to put anybody off by making assumptions and I don't want to put anybody off by not being able to make a decision.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:45 pm 
Extra

This is a good idea. And i'd like to join :D I don't think it's late enough for my new work schedule but could be.

I have no real preference Horde or alliance but Wyrmrest is a good server and i have a few storage characters there. I'll be watching this for when it happens.

Master of Call Fu, 4th generation Tech

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:58 pm 
Producer

LM and I, being EST folks, obviously preference Fridays and are excluded by Tuesdays, but again don't put us down as a definite.

Our preference is Ex-military, either faction, mixed race. It seems to allow for the most interesting inter-character interactions.
Unless the pacer is very slow-leveling, we tend to fall behind in levels, so our playstyles are more suited for a weekly event.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:08 pm 
Producer

I think the ex-military idea works best. Either faction is fine with me, though I'd probably vote Horde, since it would give us a chance to explore what the Horde military is like, and how it differs from the more familiar-feeling Alliance military.

Tuesday definitely works better for me. I try to keep Fridays and weekends open if I can. But I could do Friday if that's the favored day.

I prefer paced events, as I enjoy the questing/action element of the game, and I like what paced events do to facilitate that for roleplayers.

I think a questionnaire would be very helpful, but keep it simple (or some players will never get around to it).

I'd suggest you set down a solid outline of what our military history was like, what kind of people would and would not be a part of the unit, what sort of missions we ran (were we just a regular unit, or some kind of special ops team?), and what we all know about the missing commander. Don't be shy about making command decisions. It will only help us to refine our own ideas.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:53 pm 
Producer

As Ayra said, just Fridays for us (can't commit to that much late night fun on a weeknight).

I'm personally more or less indifferent between sides, though I might have a slight interest in Horde. (I did transfer a character to Wyrmrest Alliance side a while ago, as I recall, though.)

I'm toying with a couple ideas, but we'll see where things go. Get everyone else settled and we'll see if we can join in the fun. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:51 pm 
Performer

I'm pretty sure that since the Alliance and the Horde are (mostly) at an uneasy peace there's no problem with being ex-military. Conscription most likely isn't needed due to the fact that there's a constant need for soldiers in Northrend and Outlands. People sign up because it beats plowing the same fifteen feet in Westfall. But at the same time, plenty of excuses to get out of the military.

That sort of schedule will work well for me until about November, then all heck breaks loose. Working retail often means long-arse hours during Holiday time... But I should be good to join in.

I tend to prefer Alliance because I'm a bit more familiar with their lore... But I can wing either faction. on any server. And if LM/Ayra join in then I'd strongly suggest a pacer to keep them involved. 8)

~Me.

"My first real field assignment. Over the course of the evening, I've been chewed on and been the subject of romantic advances by our client, whom we also shot. I crossed state lines wedged between a lion and a pair of assassins. I had a tea party with homicidal robots, and I ruined my nylons. Judging by some of the reports I've had to file, it could've been much worse."

~Tip, from "Skin Horse"http://www.webcomicsnation.com/shaenongarrity/skinhorse/series.php

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:50 am 
Extra

I'm definitely up for a pacer and the ex-Military idea. Happy for it to be mixed race, and I'm thinking Horde.

I think I prefer Tuesday EST as sometimes I might be unavailable Friday EST, but it would be no issue for me to disappear on the occasional week and still keep up level wise in my own time if I had to.

Have no issue with Wyrmrest either.

I guess a bit of big boy pants decision making regarding the general history and feel of the unit, some fleshing out of the missing leader character in terms of race/gender/personality etc. wouldn't go astray. That way we can all start to develop better ideas about how our characters might have fit into that group dynamic, and our personal relationship with the leader.

Slow and steady development is all good though!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next