Dramatis Personae

Supporting immersive roleplay since 2003!
See Who's In Game Right Now!
It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:03 am

WARNING: Forums have been upgraded, please delete any old DP cookies from your browser, otherwise you may not be able to login correctly.

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:32 am 
Performer

FYI: This pacer is not currently running.

So I’m very brand new here, and I haven’t had much of a chance to meet people yet, but I thought, what better way to meet people then by jumping right in and starting a pacer (just a little one)? I’m in love with the idea of pacers; even in non-rp play I’ve found that having several characters grow and experience things together makes the game much richer.

I don’t have a lot of experience at this sort of thing. Here is the experience I do have: I am a writer, and so I have reasonable experience with storytelling, but my rp so far has been limited to random rp in cities (although people I talked with have said I wasn’t bad.)

So please, experienced rp-ers, stop me right here if you think I’m getting in over my head. But if not, here is my very basic idea.

The Very Basic Idea:

Five adventurers of different races and backstories (who just happen to be composed of a tank, healer, and three damage characters) meet by chance and become friends while fighting for a common goal, which can be completed by about level 20. This way, if we’re not having fun, the group can then decide to go their separate ways fairly quickly, but if we’re having lots of fun, they can decide to remain together as a team and see what other adventures the world has to offer.

Some ideas for fleshing this out:

The Defias Brotherhood:
Two human friends, lacking any better prospects, decide to take up arms and head to Northsire Abbey to serve their kingdom. Meanwhile, in Dun Morogh, a dwarf and gnome meet while fighting troggs in Coldridge Valley. The two pairs meet each other when they are sent to Westfall to combat the Defias Brotherhood, and, along with a Night Elf who has come to the Eastern Kingdoms to see the world and help in whatever way he or she can, they go on to fight Edwin Van Cleef in the Deadmines.

Bloodmyst Isle

Three or four adventurers of the original four races decide, independently and for various reasons (adventure, curiosity, a desire to help), to travel to Bloodmyst Isle to aid the Draenei. Perhaps they meet at the docks, or on the boat to Auberdine. Once there, they meet one or two Draenei, and then it works a lot like the other one, and they go on to fight that Eredar whose name I can’t remember.

I’m also completely open to horde, those are just the ideas that sprang to mind for me.

If anyone is interested in working on this idea with me, my available play times would be between 9PM and 12:30AM EST. I’m open as to realm, although I have a teeny preference for EST or CST realms as I’m in EST myself and I love Azeroth at night.

I’ll stop talking now.

Last edited by dreamingofatree on Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Jumping Right In
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:10 pm 
Performer

This sounds like fun, but would only work for me on weekends unless the times were earlier, sadly. I'm in Australia, so my hours are a little different...

Anyway, if you're short on people, maybe something could be worked out :)

Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. - Muhammad Ali

http://eightpaws.wordpress.com - the voice of inexperience!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:06 pm 
Performer

A weekend evening would work for me. I do have time earlier in the day, but it tends to occur unexpectedly rather than with plannable regularity. :P

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:51 pm 
Performer

What server?? :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:32 am 
Performer

Haven't picked a server yet. Suggestions?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:33 pm 
Performer

I am rather interested in trying out another pacer, with War Stories on hold. My schedule is easier to accommodate than you might think (as, once things are set, I will always plan around my roleplays), but here it is (all times are EST):

Sunday, Wednesday, Thursday: as early as 6pm but with an ending time no later than 12am, due to school in the morning
Monday, Tuesday: as early as 6pm but with an ending time no later than 10pm because of weekly raids
Friday: as early as 4pm but with an ending time no later than 10pm to eventually accommodate War Stories
Saturday: as early as 12pm but with an ending time no later than 6pm because of weekly Dungeons & Dragons sessions

Sorry if that is horribly complicated! I wish you luck. :)

“War is dark. Black as pitch... It does not laugh or weep. It rewards neither skill nor daring. It is not a trail of souls, nor the measure of wills... It is merely the place where the iron bones of the earth meet the hollow bones of men and break them.” —R. Scott Bakker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:12 pm 
Performer

Mythiene- Out of those times, Sunday, Wednesday or Thursday from maybe 9:30-11:30 would work best for me.

Sionel- I don't suppose Sunday would count as a weekend evening for you?

Byrd- Are you still interested? What times would be good for you?

Does anyone have any preferences for server, horde/alliance, starting region?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:29 pm 
Performer

I can work around most schedules -- the only real question for me is which server. If it's one that I don't have characters on, I'll have to start something. Or move someone.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:09 am 
Performer

Byrd- The idea, at least in my head, is for the characters to start right at the beginning, or maybe level 10 at the most, so I wouldn't worry about starting a new character. I'm really open to whichever server anyone suggests. The only RP server i'm particularly familiar with is Moonguard, and I'm not exactly thrilled with that server at the moment.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:06 am 
Performer

Sadly, Sunday evening for you is Monday morning for me, and the hospital might object ;)

I hope you guys have fun though!

Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. - Muhammad Ali

http://eightpaws.wordpress.com - the voice of inexperience!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:38 pm 
Performer

Okay, so I think it's time for me to actually make some decisions as to what, where, and when this will be.

Where: Sisters of Elune

I have picked this server for two very important reasons:
1) It is in Central time, so we can watch the Azerothian sunset while we play.
2) I like the name.
So this is open to change if it's a problem for anyone.

When: Thursdays from 9:30 to 11:30, beginning (hopefully) next Thursday, 9/16.
This could turn into Sunday if necessary. Man, I'm kind of wishy-washy, aren't I?

What: I'd like to do a Bloodmyst Isle storyline, focused on the idea of several adventurers from across Azeroth arriving to aid the Draenei, leading up to the final fight with Sironas. There's sort of a problem with this, which is that only Draenei can get the quest to kill Sironas, so the group would have to have at least one Draenei (not a problem), and the non-draenei would not be able to get "credit" in the form of XP and a nifty tabard, for completing the quest (problem). Mostly I'm crossing my fingers and hoping people won't mind, as from an RP perspective you can still do the quest as long as you have a Draenei to start it, but let me know if this is a dealbreaker.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:29 pm 
Performer

I think it would be better to use one of the RP servers where many of us have characters. The problem with doing RP on a server where nobody has characters is that if we need support (someone needs a nice caster tunic, for instance, or a bit of jewelry would help us run through a quest faster or we need a bronze tube (engineering) or Frost Oil (alchemy) for quests, we can collect that from other character resources we have rather than scraping together coin to see if we can possibly afford the ridiculously overpriced item at the Auction House.

My 2 coppers' worth.

I adore the idea of the pacer, though!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:39 pm 
Performer

That's a good point. Let's just do Earthen Ring, then? That seems like the most popular server for DP.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:57 pm 
Performer

So here's a bit of a sketch of how things could begin:

The sun is setting as the boat creaks into port on Azuremyst Isle. Disembarking, some of the ragtag group of travelers crane their necks to take in the metal and crystal spectacle of the Exodar, while others save their curiosity for the Draenei on the dock in from of them. They’ve all seen a Draenei or two before, for certain, in the big cities, but these strange, horned people are still new to them.
All of these travelers have come here to the far reaches of Kalimdor for different reasons. Some made the journey selflessly, desiring only to help those in need. Others seek glory in a land made new by the Exodar’s crash. Still others come out of pure curiosity. None are yet adventurers of any great repute, and all hold great hope for the journey ahead.
Down the road, a Draenei, recently recovered from injuries sustained in the crash and just beginning to feel her strength returning, watches the boat from a distance. She has been dispatched to Blood Watch, but, in a moment of curiosity, she instead begins to head towards the dock.

Would anyone like to be the token Draenei? I'd be happy to, but I kind of have a gnome warrior kicking around in my head.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:36 pm 
Performer

Two things: choosing a server that is highly populated can be beneficial, but largely irrelevant to the pacer, as presumably we will be helping one another and in need of relatively little. Pacers are remarkably self-sufficient as, generally, the numbers will be of enough help; when it is not, there are likely to be DP members on that server regardless of which one it is. Most servers are chosen to host pacers merely on the leader’s whim and do just fine, although lower-population servers are less likely to have us encounter lag, which is, hands down, the easiest way to ruin any activity in Warcraft.

Rather rude of me (and I do sincerely apologize for such), but food for thought, I hope. I have no preference for either Sisters of Elune or Earthen Ring.

Secondly, a significant portion of quests on Bloodmyst Isle are draenei-only, as previously noted by another pacer group. Quoting Jane Doe, it was said the non-draenei members felt a bit left-out, toted around and boredly killing mobs while the draenei got to jockey from questgiver to questgiver. Bloodmyst Isle is probably a poor choice.

Edit: Forgot this part. I am comfortable with being any race that is left, but would most enjoy playing the draenei.

“War is dark. Black as pitch... It does not laugh or weep. It rewards neither skill nor daring. It is not a trail of souls, nor the measure of wills... It is merely the place where the iron bones of the earth meet the hollow bones of men and break them.” —R. Scott Bakker