Dramatis Personae

Supporting immersive roleplay since 2003!
See Who's In Game Right Now!
It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:04 am

WARNING: Forums have been upgraded, please delete any old DP cookies from your browser, otherwise you may not be able to login correctly.

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:56 am 
Performer

This is the ongoing discussion thread for the Hounds of Gilneas pacer on Argent Dawn. Weekly updates can be found in the separate Info Thread.

As previously discussed in the "I'm Worgen 9 to 5" thread, I would like to set up a Worgen pacer so that anyone interested can RP through the Worgen intro quests together.

All credit for this idea goes to the fantastic "Repercussions of Freedom" pacer run by Blake's Tiger, which ran a group of DKs through the starter areas and into the Plaguelands entirely in character. I still have very fond memories of running through those atmospheric quests with a group of like-minded RPers, and, as the Worgen starter quests seem to offer the same exciting plot-based progression, I'd love to do something like that again.

As the idea currently sits, only this intro would actually be paced. After we get out into the wide world (of Warcraft!), you'll basically just have some buddies on the same server for roleplaying hooks -- but if people want to keep up the paced aspect, then all the better! I have just generally found that pacers tend to start out strong and then peter out, so focusing on the starter quests seems like a fun way to get in a good solid burst of RP without the frustration of things breaking apart before they're done.

The details are still up in the air. I grabbed a guild charter with the name "Hounds of Gilneas", but I'm totally open to other suggestions. I would suggest we start up after the first of the year. The worgen areas are going to be mobbed after launch on December 7, and that's not even factoring in the inevitable expansion birth pains and technical problems. Then we run into holiday season for a lot of people later in the month.

The pacer will be on Argent Dawn, and I'll be giving all starting characters a 10g "starter fund" to help make the jump to the new server. Grab your Gilnean names there now, if you have a mind -- Jeremy has already reserved a handful that he's kindly offered to share.

If you're interested, please post with days that work and don't work, as well as any character ideas you have. Personally, weeknights 8:30 PM EST or later are best, but, especially for a short-term pacer, I'm sure we can make something work. Character-wise, I'll be playing Gavain Forester, a rogue (class-wise, at least -- IC, he's still a forester).

*Argent Dawn Unit Director

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:30 am 
Performer

I’m most definitely interested in this, so here is a rundown of my schedule:

Monday through Friday I have school, so no earlier than 5pm Eastern (to allow for homework time).
Wednesday I would like to be around for Brown Book, which starts at 9pm(?).
Saturdays I am completely unavailable due to our weekly Dungeons & Dragons sessions. We start very early (3pm Eastern is tomorrow’s start time) and go until very late (4am on Sunday morning at times).

Details on my character will have to wait until after Cataclysm hits. I need a better look at the female worgen models before I decide on a gender, and I need a gender before I decide on a name, although I may try to reserve one of each gender for convenience. For my concept I will probably need to look at the starter quests first (it’s not as if I could resist trying a worgen as soon as Cata is out)... I will try to get back to you on a class choice.

Let me know if you have any questions on my schedule. :)

“War is dark. Black as pitch... It does not laugh or weep. It rewards neither skill nor daring. It is not a trail of souls, nor the measure of wills... It is merely the place where the iron bones of the earth meet the hollow bones of men and break them.” —R. Scott Bakker

Last edited by Mythiene on Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:10 pm 
Performer

Yay! Thanks, Myth. :)

Front what I understand, the female worgen models are still very much in flux, so there is hope yet! And I'll definitely make a throw-away worgen at launch too, just to check things out.

Anyone have an interest in doing a goblin version of this pacer, by the way? From what I understand, the goblin intro quests are just as good, if not better, than the worgen ones.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:35 am 
Performer

I'm interested in both. Pick a time and a server.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:26 pm 
Performer

I am so excited about this pacer. I've been planning a rogue, but if we get to rogue-y I have thoughts for a warrior, mage, or priest. I've got the name Amthelia reserved.

Scheduling wise, my best times are after 9:30 in the evening, any day except for Sunday and Wednesday, when I have other pacers. I can make if for an earlier time, but, like many people I think, I need to wait for the rest of my household to go to sleep before I can get uninterrupted play time.

Re: Goblins: I'd be interested in a goblin pacer as well, but it's the worgen that I'm like unreasonably excited about.

Byrd: I believe this is planned for Argent Dawn.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:26 pm 
Performer

I've edited my post in the other thread to add feminine names. Finn's link will take you there.

I myself look forward to participating as a shadow priest, Lord Silas Blackheath. Any night of the week, save for Thursdays, will work for me. I'd prefer if we start 8:00 PM or earlier, but I can swing 9:30 for a short term pacer.

Last edited by Jeremy on Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:06 pm 
Performer

I'll definitely try to participate in this.

I work a regular M-F, 9-5 (Eastern) job now, except for when I get sent on a field assignment, but there's no predicting that, so I should be able to do most any time you'd pick.

I like your guild name, Finn.

This will probably be a warrior.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:42 pm 
Performer

I could make an 8pm on any of the days I listed except Tuesday, I might just have to afk periodically.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:47 am 
Performer

I would love to be part of this too! Due to my time zones, if it needs to be a weeknight, I could probably only make it on a Friday - so if that's possible, I'll very gladly join. Don't plan around me though - I realise I live on the other side of the world ;)

Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. - Muhammad Ali

http://eightpaws.wordpress.com - the voice of inexperience!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:30 pm 
Performer

Count me in for this as well, worgen or goblin... or both! I have hit WoW overload and stopped playing until the first of the year. Self-imposed banishment to calm the addiction. :D

This sounds like a perfect opportunity to get back in for a more normal and realistic (time-wise) gaming experience.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:18 am 
Performer

After looking over everyone's schedules, I'd like to tentatively suggest 9 PM EST on Thursday {EDIT} nights, with the first meeting being on January 6, 2010. I know that's not perfect for everyone, but it seems like it might give us the best chance at some overlap for most folks. Please let me know if that's a flat out "no" for you.

Character-wise, I'm a big fan of characters who are at least a little familiar with one another before a pacer, if it would make sense. Again, my Gavain will have been a forester in the "good old days" -- if you're unfamiliar with the job, it's similar to a medieval sheriff, in charge of keeping poachers and other riffraff out of the woodlands owned by nobles and negotiating logging rights on that property (and if a forester was to skim a little off the top, who was to know?).

As it's my understanding that everyone will be starting over from scratch (no pun intended) fairly early on in the Gilnean starter quests, former position in society is more backstory flavor than current occupation. So if anyone would have anything to do with a forester -- either as a "deputy" patrolling the forest, a logger, a former poacher or criminal, or even a member of the family that employed him -- we've got a hook right off the bat.

Don't feel like you HAVE to have some contact with my character, of course! Just tossing out some ideas, and I hope you'll share any ideas you have.

Also, if folks will be around tonight and would be willing to sign the charter, look for me on the Call Sheet on AD (or just on and /whisper Aurek, if the Call Sheet is down). I have a character that can come to you and get your signature.

And finally, if you want that nest egg I discussed earlier ahead of time so you can start playing the AH or getting your twinking gear ready, that's no problem -- just let me know to which bank alt to send it. ;)

EDIT: I changed the proposed day from Wednesday to Thursday, as I realized after I posted that Wednesdays would conflict with the BBS pacer (which I still plan on catching up to! Myth, don't hurt me!).

If anyone needs to reach me in-game, I'll happily accept RealID requests now that we can turn off the Friends-of-Friends feature. Either PM me for my game e-mail or check out the Real ID post on the private forums -- I'm still a tad squirrelly about posting it on the public forums.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:46 am 
Performer

I think the “member of the family that employed him” sounds like an interesting concept for me. I need something to get me started, so I will work from there. Tentatively going to recycle an unused character concept, the one that was originally my human rogue Tamsy. Name change is possible but not certain; class change is very likely, considering that you are already a rogue.

As for your edit, Finn... you’ve avoided my wrath. For now. :wink: But I am watching you, mister!

“War is dark. Black as pitch... It does not laugh or weep. It rewards neither skill nor daring. It is not a trail of souls, nor the measure of wills... It is merely the place where the iron bones of the earth meet the hollow bones of men and break them.” —R. Scott Bakker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:10 pm 
Performer

That sounds like a great idea, Myth. And don't sweat your class choice on my account. Sure, it would be amazing if this pacer lasted until the endgame and we started getting really worried about class balance for instances and such, but, realistically, we all know pacers have a limited life expectancy, and this one especially is intended mainly to just get us through the opening worgen areas in full RP style. We could be entirely rogues, and it would still work fine (remember, BT's pacer that inspired this one was made of 100% death knights, and they DID go on to do instances and such).

The important thing is to pick a class for your worgen that you'll enjoy playing even after the pacer is done -- my selfish master plan here is to get people hooked on worgen and established on AD, so I'll have more company on my "home server". ;)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:34 pm 
Performer

It is something of a conundrum. Certainly a rogue suits Tamsy’s concept best, that was the whole reason she was a rogue to start with. But I have played rogues before and I’m not terribly impressed by them. One of my least-favorite classes. Mage and warrior are the only classes that even begin to fit Tamsy as a character, but neither one fits well...

I could just as easily create a new concept, but the problem there is how much I like Tamsy’s character concept. :?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:53 pm 
Performer

Part of the fun of a worgen character is that your starting experience gives you a HUGE opportunity to break from what "fits" your concept.

At the risk of sounding egotistical by bringing up Gavain again, I'm going to use him as an example. Before being turned into a worgen, he would definitely have been a hunter, class-wise. But spending months as a ravening beast lurking in the woods tends to change one's outlook.

Even if Tamsy was a rogue-type before the change, she'll undoubtedly learn all sorts of new and different skills due to the free Gilnean Monster Training Seminar she'll be going through. Maybe she lost the knack for being sneaky during all that time spent smashing down cottage doors and eating people's faces, and she's a warrior now. Maybe she wants to distance herself from the memory of physical carnage and has worked on her magic or priestly arts as atonement.

Basically, being a worgen is a free pass to apply any class to any character concept, even if they don't seem to fit. This race, more than any other, is about change.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next