Dramatis Personae

Supporting immersive roleplay since 2003!
See Who's In Game Right Now!
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:29 pm

WARNING: Forums have been upgraded, please delete any old DP cookies from your browser, otherwise you may not be able to login correctly.

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A better events system
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:57 pm 
Producer

Does anyone have suggestions for a better system for events? Not on the Call Sheet-- I'm working on that. But here on the forums, this sticky thing is just too labor intensive to continue. I don't want anything that needs someone to babysit it or it falls apart. I can do some limited automation even here on the forums.

Things to keep in mind:
The sticky system originally evolved, I believe, because events usually had two threads-- an "organization" thread with the event info and links to journals and member profiles and so forth, and a "discussion" thread where ongoing discussions were held. The idea was not to clutter up the "organization" thread with lots of extraneous and sometimes offtopic chatter, and keep the organization threads of regular, established events stickied. However, I believe the sticky system originally also evolved before the Call Sheet. In theory, the Call Sheet should replace the organization threads. In practice, events have never worked properly.
However, once the update is done, the Call Sheet will have a flag for all events-- active or inactive. Events will default to inactive after a month of no activity, or they can be manually set to inactive. Events will be creatable by any Performer+. There will be separate support for playgroups (such as pacer groups). And, of course, the times will be fixed (no events going until negative two am).

I'm wondering if the best thing might not be to tie in sticky-status (if I can figure out a way to do this) with active status on the Call Sheet, so-- keep your event active on there, have it feature on here. Let it lapse on the Call Sheet, and it will go back to regular status on here.

Anyway, thoughts, ideas?

You know what happens when you dream of falling? Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you.
And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.

-->Obligatory Call Sheet plug here<--