Dramatis Personae

Supporting immersive roleplay since 2003!
See Who's In Game Right Now!
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:36 pm

WARNING: Forums have been upgraded, please delete any old DP cookies from your browser, otherwise you may not be able to login correctly.

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: One-off Event Brainstorm
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:58 pm 
Performer

DP has been quiet lately. Like mime in a library in a tomb quiet. I've long missed the halcyon days of my DP youth, when pacers were being started left and right, and various events filled the calendar. These things, of course, did not just happen, like passing astronomical events, but were the products of the passions of various DPers. Well, I am bringing my passion back to the table, and I invite you to do so as well.

I am creating this thread to provide a space for brainstorming ideas for one-off RP events. Such events, I believe, would help to get people back into the game, roleplaying with new people and under new circumstances. Because one-off events don't require a long-term investment, they are a good start for rekindling interest.

When thinking up events, please consider accessibility. Events that are open to characters of all levels can bring together experienced an inexperienced players, as well as give an opportunity for players to leave their home server to interact with a new pool of people. Not every event has to be open players of all levels, but a mix would be preferable.

The Great Exposition

Cataclysm introduced archaeology as a new secondary profession. Archaeologists find a plethora of artifacts from various cultures, as well as fossils, and discover information about the history of Azeroth along with it. Though the process of archaeology is a solo activity, the products of the profession provide RP opportunities.

Hosted by the Explorers' Guild, The Great Exposition is a carnival of knowledge and adventure. Brave explorers and scholars from across Azeroth come to Ironforge to present their findings for the public, providing educating lectures and thrilling tales. Others display photographs and sketches of exotic locales.

This event would require input from multiple established characters on a server, though could support any number of new "member of the public" characters to observe and interact at the exposition. I could host the event on Scarlet Crusade with my archeologist character, Professor Thormann Druthers, though others would have to provide the more exotic artifacts.

Apothecary Orientation

The Royal Apothecary society begins its training of new members with an orientation, featuring a guided tour of the Apothecarium, alchemical demonstrations, and hands on experiments. Even though the RAS must be careful not to arouse the suspicions of the orc observers stationed after the events of the Wrathgate, clever Forsaken can still tell that work on the plague continues.

This event would require some input from at least one established character on a server, though the majority of participants would probably be new Forsaken characters rolled specifically for the event. A good realm would likely be Farstriders, to provide opportunity to interact with the established Forsaken characters on the server.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:38 pm 
Performer

Steam Tonk Derby!

Twisted metal, savage combat, explosions -- war, on a smaller scale. Tonk commanders fight for many reason -- glory, fame, prizes -- but they all share one thing in common: a love of miniaturized mayhem. Wielding their Steam Tonk Controllers, the combatants come together for derbies, fighting to prove their skills and to earn prizes.

I could bankroll this on Scarlet Crusade, Alliance side, with my main. I'd be able to provide plenty of controllers and also considerable prizes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:28 pm 
Performer

Mysterious Dinner Party

You receive a formal invitation to a dinner party, from a noble you have never even heard of. You have no idea why you would be invited to such an event, but it is clearly your name, address, and profession on the invitation. The enclosed list of guests is comprised completely of strangers, along with their professions, which represent an eclectic and inexplicable cross-section of society.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:29 pm 
Performer

IC Cross-realm Dungeons

A little known feature of the Battle.net friend system is the ability to invite friends on other servers to join a group to queue for instances. While you wouldn't want to do this with less than a full group, or you will end up with picks out of the random player pool, a full 5-person group can be assembled out of DP characters, providing the opportunity for RP matchups that would not otherwise be possible.

Also, one no longer needs to use their Real ID to get access to this -- one can use a Battle.net ID instead.

Edit: Sorry, I was mistaken -- BattleTags are not yet fully implemented into WoW yet. They will be on August 28th, when the MoP pre-patch launches. If you have Diablo III, you can still add friends via BattleTag, but I am not sure if it will function correctly within WoW. In any case, my BattleTag is JCS#1557.

Last edited by Jeremy on Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:40 pm 
Performer

Sweet! I never know what to do with myself when it's just sitting around in an inn--I guess my characters aren't any better at small talk than I am. (Except the mage, who's a terrible gossip.)

My BattleTag thingy is Kyala#1492, maybe I'll get to meet some of you guys from other servers!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:44 pm 
Performer

Interfaith Summit

Many diverse faiths are practiced by the peoples of the Alliance. Some, such as the Scarlet Crusade, regard this as a divisive weakness, but others recognize it as a source of innervating wisdom and inner strength. In the hope of encouraging dialogue between the faiths, the Hall of Mysteries, in Ironforge, has convened an interfaith summit.

I could host this on Steamwheedle Cartel with my liberally-minded priest, Terrick Brasstower. It would not require established characters, as the the representatives could be level 1. (They could even be stand-ins for more established characters who reside on other servers.)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:28 pm 
Performer

Hunting Trip

Some beasts earn for themselves names and reputations among hunters, owing to their unique appearance, their viciousness, or their elusiveness. This renown only encourages more hunters to seek their hides. Hunting parties often set out to search for a particular of these legendary quarry, more interested in the search than the slaying.

The particular target can be modified based on the player group, catering to the lowest level character, as the fight isn't supposed to be the difficult part. Players would be encouraged to hunt as a more leisurely pace, and roleplay out the trek through the wilderness.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:41 pm 
Performer

Operation Gnomeregan

Survivors are still being found within the depths of the irradiated city of Gnomeregan. High Tinker Mekkatorque has called all gnomes to volunteer time to help with the on-going rescue operation in Gnomeregan.

This event would be best suited to a server with established gnome characters, probably Silver Hand, home of the gnome pacer. It would, however, be able to support any number of new gnomes in need of rescue.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:35 pm 
Performer

For the Republic!

The tyrannical reign of Moira Thaurissan, and the subsequent council imposed by the crown of Stormwind, has robbed the Dwarven Senate of much of its previous power. Certain senators have begun to make moves towards stirring the people towards sedition, hoping to implement a republic, giving the senate total power. These sentators, of course, have been careful not to reveal their part in this so early in the proceedings, but they have sponsored agents throughout Ironforge. These rabble-rousers hold clandestine meetings within the city, and their republicanism is beginning to take root.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:27 pm 
Performer

Biggest Fish in a Small Pond

The large and popular fishing contests in Stranglethorn Veil and Northrend are anything but relaxing. Those dramatic meets of fishing might are contentious, leaving many anglers with pounding hearts and sweaty palms. Not so, with the Elwynn Forest Fishing Contest. This more laid-back contest two simple rules: the largest fish caught from the designated pond wins, and everyone drinks (if they want to). Contestants are encouraged to sit down next to each other on the shore, unscrew their flasks, and fish at whatever pace they feel comfortable with. Prizes are given to the anglers that catch the largest fish, and free booze is given to all participants.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:39 pm 
Performer

Arcane Seminar

The Arcane Academy in Stormwind's Mage Quarter periodically invites the top minds in experimental magic and arcane theory to give seminar talks, for the benefit of students and public alike. Unlike the old and stodgy faculty of the Arcane Academy, these speakers tend to be animated and interesting, much to the relief of the students. Talks take place outside of the musty towers of the arcane academy, in the open air of Elwynn Forrest, near the Tower of Azora.

Cross-realm grouping would allow for established wizardly characters from various servers to convene. Each such character would prepare a short talk on some interesting aspect of magic, or relate the results of some magical experiment, and be willing to answer questions afterwards. Additional players could attend as students or faculty of the Arcane Academy.